no power to radio?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, no power to radio? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I lost power to my radio last week, all of the fuses seem to be good and I ...
    mmwilber is offline Cadillac Owners Member

no power to radio?

Hey guys, I lost power to my radio last week, all of the fuses seem to be good and I replaced the multi-function relay as well. The radio is the only issue I am having at this time. Any suggestions of places to look for a problem would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

Re: no power to radio?

I would pull the multi-function relay (k134) and verify 12 volts at pin 12 on the socket (voltage from the fuse). Turn the key on, and verify there is a ground at pin 11 (ground from the BCM). If you have both of those, turn the key off and jumper between pins 12 and 14. Turn the key on and see if the radio works now. If it does, then the relay is bad. If it doesn't, the radio or the wire/connector to it is bad.
    Don't know your skill level, so just ask if your not sure how to do those things. If the pins on the socket aren't labeled, I could probably post a pic of it from the manual.

I'll give that a try. Thank you!

No luck. Everything checked out and still no radio function. Guess the next step is to pull it?

----------

Additionally, the unit must have power to it. It will eject and accept a CD but still no display or sound....

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

Yes, I would say that's the next step. Hopefully it is something obvious, or maybe a dirty connector.
    When you have the radio connector off, see if you can read 12v at pin F1, the solid red wire. It should be at one of the corners. The bcm won't be able to talk to the radio so you may have to jumper pins 12+14 at the relay socket.

----------

I just saw your follow up note. Yep, sounds like you have power to it.

Maybe you can tell me what I would be experiencing if somehow the radio had lost programming? Does it still have a display or function of any kind because I have nothing except the cd player eject and the clock will come up "12:00" when I hold the HR button down....If the problem is with the radio I will just order a new one they seem to be pretty cheap and available. I just don't want to replace it if there isn't anything wrong. Thanks for the help btw.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.