What should I do about coolant leaks?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, What should I do about coolant leaks? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone. I'm having the usual coolant leak problem with my '01 Catera, where the coolant is leaking from the ...
    ZaneKaminski is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport

What should I do about coolant leaks?

Hi everyone. I'm having the usual coolant leak problem with my '01 Catera, where the coolant is leaking from the oil/coolant heat exchanger in the V of the engine. I've looked around and determined that the usual solutions for this problem include replacing and re-sealing the oil cooler in the engine, as well as installing an aftermarket cooler. It seems to me like installing a new cooler is the only way to prevent the problem from reoccurring. Am I right, or have people had more luck with just replacing the stock part than I would think?

As for installing a new cooler, what sort of part should I be installing? Would it be something that connects to the coolant and oil loops? Or is it a radiator-type thing that only connects to the oil line? I've seen one person's setup where he mounted a radiator-looking oil cooler thing on the front underbody of the car. It would seem to me that the oil should be cooled using the coolant, not just a radiator thing, but I really don't know. (Is it unusual that the Catera has an oil/coolant heat exchanger? How is the oil cooled in most cars?) I would prefer a solution that doesn't involve adding anything to the outside of the car, but I mean, whatever's necessary.

Finally, I have fairly little experience working on cars other than adding oil, replacing spark plugs, etc. I feel confident in my technical abilities, but my background is computer science, not cars. Is replacing the cooler too difficult a task for a beginner or no?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

Re: What should I do about coolant leaks?

Here's a link for changing the oil cooler. (courtesy of Elvin)
    You can decide for yourself if that's something you can tackle.
    Not too difficult, just takes some time. You might also want to change the thermostat will you're down there.
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...493#msg1155493

Here's an oil cooler from rockauto, the cheapest one on ebay is about the same price.
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,2084

PS
    If you just bought the car and are having problems with electrical items, do a search here on relay K134 before you do any trouble shooting.

If I replace it in this way, won't it just become unsealed again and I'll have to fix it all over?

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

I did my oil cooler this way about 3 years ago and haven't had any leaks.
    Also, fyi, a very common problem seems to be a coolant leak from the heater control valve in the back area of the engine. Make sure it's not leaking from there before taking out the oil cooler.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    I got my cooler over ebay for $180 + free shipping year ago, since that time nooooo problems

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    I got my cooler over ebay for $180 + free shipping year ago, since that time nooooo problems

That's reassuring that you guys have had success. I'll try and check the HCV tomorrow. How should I determine if it's leaking? I was thinking I could wrap the part in a paper towel or something and see if it gets wet. Or is that a bad idea for any reason?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.