98 Catera what's the deal with the radio/stereo????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 98 Catera what's the deal with the radio/stereo???? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This is really strange that is my radio/stereo goes on the blink about 2 times during the day. Is this ...
    watsondarts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 98 Catera what's the deal with the radio/stereo????

This is really strange that is my radio/stereo goes on the blink about 2 times during the day. Is this an electrical problem? Anybody had any problems like this? Do you go to a dealer pay a bunch of money or can Express Oil fix it.

Help needed in Birmingham, AL

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cattydrvr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 98 Catera what's the deal with the radio/stereo????

hey watsondarts, I got a similar problem but my radio shuts off when I start the car. I can sit in the car and listen to the radio as long as I dont turn it on. I can get the clock to display but only for 15 seconds then it shuts down. Can anyone help us please!

modesitt74 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same problem with my radio cattydrvr. I've looked through all the wiring diagrams and replaced the multi-function relay. It didnt work! I'm starting to believe that it might me the low voltage relay in the body control module(BCM). The problem eith that is...the only way to fix it is to replace the BCM. My interior lights are effected the same way as the radio. Let me know if you find anything else out.

I took it in to get it looked at the guy told me he thought it might be a problem with the wiring from the starter/alternator to the radio, what doesn't make sense is that if I put the key in the radio/cd/tape works but as soon as I turn the car on it's dead - I wish it were the other way around. I will be taking it to auto electric this weekend, can bear driving without any sound! I let you guys know what I found out & how much. Hopefully we'll save ourselves $...

I remember a month ago my car was having problems starting because the battery would drain overnight, I wonder if the same thing is happening with the new one only this time is the radio??? Hmm, have you guys had a problem with your battery too?

ExcessivePlay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Catera

Hey guys, had the same problem with my 98 Catera, even went so far as to remove the radio and send it to Bose for repair but they couldnít find anything wrong with the unit itself. What it came down to was a 10a fuse, sorry I donít remember which one it was and it was confusing because looking it didnít indicate it had anything to do with the radio. Think it says link fuse, I will try to look and let you know in a follow up post if someone else doesnít give you the specific one in the knee panel beneath the steering wheel. Anyway I replaced the fuse and the radio worked although it was short lived as it blew again the next day. Further research found that the Auxiliary Water Pump on the passenger side fender well had gone bad and when ever this pump tried to kick in it would blow that fuse. I isolated the problem by placing 2 inline fusses, 1 each for each of these Auxiliary Water Pumps located 1 on the passenger side fender well and the other mounted on the driverís side of the radiator, with 5a fuses. Once I replaced the link 10a fuse again the radio worked and after driving the car for a short distance I found that the 5a inline fuse I placed on the passenger side pump had blown. This is a common problem with the Catera, radiator fluid can start to seep from the pump and it seeps right down on the electrical connector thus blowing the fuse.

The dealer of course wanted some outrageous price for the pump and the install but I found the part number searching this board and a place to buy it online for around $70. The install is both quick and easy so save yourself some money and do it yourself.

Hope this is your answer.

Sorry guys, I didn't have a chance to take it in to get it fixed - labor day weekend & all, but ExcessivePlay might have something there. Most people that have had a similar problem have said it something way off than fuses - water pumps! ExcessivePlay can you tell us the website where you ordered the pump. The only ones I go too are wholesaleparts4u.com or OEM and they are still pretty high. I'm going to check for leaks then, taking it in next Tuesday , I'll give you all an update.

R-Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green

Mine had that problem too. Check the fuses. But then again, mine only did that for a week or so, when the interior had got a bit wet. Especially the passenger side. I had a cloged drain under the hood, but got that fixed. Good Luck!

catera2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

okay, this is even stranger....my stereo works great, except the FM does not come in at all when I turn on the Rear Defroster...and, unless I switch to CD mode when the defrost is on, a horrible electrical smell starts to fill the car...doesnt sound good huh? i think i will just do without the defrost.

Serobin88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1997 Catera--similar problem, but with another twist!!

The radio plays fine from time I start car. Plays from 15 to 20 minutes, then goes completely out--display and sound completely "die" this way ONLY if I am listening to the radio. After this happens, i cannot use the cassette player either--dead unit.

If I turn on cassette before radio dies, I can play a cassette/cassettes for hours without this ever occuring.

PROBLEM ALWAYS CLEARS ITSELF: Aftre each instance of radio-related "dead" condition, radio/cassette unit stays dead until I park car, turn it off. If the car is turned off for about 15 minutes or more, a miracle happens!--the problem seems to correct itself. When I start the car again, the radio again seems fine until goes out again after 15 to 20 minutes of radio play. NOTE: cassette play does not make unit "die" this way.

I have removed the 12-CD changer mounted in the trunk. The CD changer cannot be the cause.

What does anybody think?

My radio finally works! it was a wire that was disconnected under the steering wheel. The fuse was good, but a wire came undone, connected radio starts to play! woohoo, the best fix yet. Oh, but my heater valve is now starting to do a smoke show. Good luck guys, take apart the plastic under the steering wheel save yourself $30. hehe

SavvySecrets is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Here's the scoop -- when it's not a loose wire and replacing the fuse doesn't fix it, it is the A/C computer module which also controls the radio/stereo, trunk lid and fuel door. $400 to replace at the Cadillac garage. Just did it.

watsondarts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

SavvySecrets,

Thanks for the reply, My daughter just bought an awsome stereo for her Mercury Cougar from Best Buy and they installed it! I guess if you have to replace the A/C Computer module then you pay the 400.00 at the dealership. I just have the problem with the stereo. I guess I'll spend the money on the stereo instead of the module. The Catera has a great speaker system and I will not replace that, so I guess I will go to Best Buy. Thanks!

Watsondarts
    Birmingham, AL

Lcsolutions is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just to add to this WONDERFUL post, I had the same problem - it looks like the 10a fuse in question for me (2000 Catera) is the "CLAMP 15a" fuse. Usage is defined for the BCM, Heater Water Aux. Pump, Fan Control Relays, Aux. Water Pump Relay. Can you please send me some instructions on the Aux. pump location and replacement steps? THANKS A TON!!!

Joe
    Waldorf, MD

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.