My in laws catera got stolen!!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, My in laws catera got stolen!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The only details I have is the radio is missing, inside was trashed, car key & fob missing, exterior and ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: My in laws catera got stolen!!!

The only details I have is the radio is missing, inside was trashed, car key & fob missing, exterior and under carriage area we are not sure yet. The body shop has to clean up the exterior first due to all the dirt and mud on the body and to determine any body / paint damage. Also not sure how much damage to the dash area.

Also, we do not have an extra key so couldn't start the vehicle to check engine and driving condition.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

They shouldn't have accepted the car unless you got a cost to bring it up to before stolen condition.

Well, this is a quick update. The front bumper (bottom side) is cracked, the radio wires are cut so the body shop said it need new harness and have to pull dash out to get the new wiring done. I told my in laws that will most likely mess up all the electronics after they pull the dash out and not put back correctly. I guess the dash pull out labor and wiring parts itself will cost more that the car plus fixing bumper and painting.

Another option I told them that might work is to get a new radio harness or got to junkyard and pull what is needed and connect to the existing wires without pulling the dash out.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    While pulling the dash won't mess anything up electronically, buying a repair harness (or cutting the connector/wiring off of a salvage car) would be much cheaper and easier.

I meant to say the collision repair place might mess up something after pulling the dash out and installing everything back in. Also, my guess is that might take about 2 to 4 hours of labor just to pull the dash out and rewire everything and install the dash back. Then comes the bumper replace and painting...etc, etc. So we are looking probably more to fix than the what the car is worth.

Anyways, we are waiting to hear back from collision & insurance company then decide what to be done.

Is the repair shop one that the ins co. suggested? If so, you want a guarantee, in writing that car will be brought to pre-theft condition. If not, get the same thing from your shop.

I had a car not totaled, and requested the written guarantee. They totaled the car 2 days later.

Yep, insurance recommended place and told us if the car is fixable it will have a warranty.

Latest update - Insurance recommended to total the car.

Estimate repair per collision store is around $2600, the car is worth $3500 after deductible they will get around $3000. So I told them to total get rid of the vehicle. The engine, transmission is all good, no issues there (I replaced timing belt, water pump, crankshaft seals and new throttle body) 3 months ago and was driving really good.

The only issues are front bumper pushed in and probably can be pulled out with some heat...etc without replacing it but body shop recommends changing it, new radio harness, keys and remote.

I saw the car and it needs a good detail if they plan to fix it up!!!

Tell them they are very lucky that it was totaled. $3500 is a gift!

darksky47 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

He wont get far with it. it's a catera

Also, certain parts are getting harder to find for Cateras so that's what I recommended to get rid of it and get something else down the road eventually.

My 98 Catera is still hanging in there with no major problems and it has 110K now.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    Omg... 5 pages about stolen Catera....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJJO View Post
    Omg... 5 pages about stolen Catera....
    Well it's better than not getting any feedbacks!!! [COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Update - my in laws decided to keep the Catera. Insurance will deduct another $300 plus their $500 deductible so they will get $2700 with the car.

Made new keys (bought from dealership and cut and programmed by a locksmith), starting and running good. Remote / fobs on order so will have to program that at the dealership later.

I checked the front bumper and it doesn't need any replacement, used my cheap pop a dent tool and it pulled the under side dent out. Now it only needs an aftermarket radio and harness and it's good to go again.

Please keep us informed on the car's reliability.

As of now they are driving it with no problems. The only thing missing is the radio and I checked the radio wires and noticed that the original (blue color) harness is in there. The wires were cut from the aftermarket radio harness to which it was wired to the blue harness and I have no clue. I will have to take to some audio place to get the radio working again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.