97 catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 97 catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought my first cadillac its a 97 catera. i was wondering, this car has 152000 on it and ...
    gatekeepr70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

97 catera

I just bought my first cadillac its a 97 catera.
    i was wondering, this car has 152000 on it and the a/c compresser just froose up on me and the car will not run now. What should i exspected with this mileage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: 97 catera

Welcome to the forums..... Thanks for signing up.....

So are you asking what you want to do about it, what the repair cost is gonna be or what?? Im a little confused on what your asking......

gatekeepr70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by gatekeepr70
    i was wondering, this car has 152000 on it and the a/c compresser just froose up on me and the car will not run now. What should i exspected with this mileage.
    i bought a use a/c compress on line cheap. what should i exspect out of this car for mileage like are these motor known for doing 300,000 like a volvo?
    i heared this year car is kown for have problems. should exspect the alternater will be nexts.
    the only reason i bought this car is because i always wanted a cadillac
    and the car look like it just came off the showroom floor.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Well, Id say it depends on its past maintenance..... IF the engine has been taken care of all its life (ALL maintenance done to OEM standards), I think you'll be able to see well into the 200k range...... Im not sure if 300k, but the Germans can make some mighty fine engines...... I dont know enough about the catera engine, but overall Id say most engines nowadays are capable of 200k with good maintenance...... of course, there are the exceptions...... Technically speaking, they'll go forever, it just depends on how much money you wanna fork over!!!!

em1tchel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Re: 97 catera

Quote Originally Posted by gatekeepr70
    With that mileage I am not sure how much longer you will be driving that car. I have a 98 Catera that I faithfully took in for service until I just couldn't afford to service and fix all the problems that were arising. I only have 96000 miles on mine and I honestly dont think I am going to make it to 152. Hopefully yours is one they did right and this will be the only problem you experience but I have not been so lucky. Expect the worse but hope for the best is all I can tell you.

nijoma is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by em1tchel
    With that mileage I am not sure how much longer you will be driving that car. I have a 98 Catera that I faithfully took in for service until I just couldn't afford to service and fix all the problems that were arising. I only have 96000 miles on mine and I honestly dont think I am going to make it to 152. Hopefully yours is one they did right and this will be the only problem you experience but I have not been so lucky. Expect the worse but hope for the best is all I can tell you.
    I have a 97 catera have 100,008 miles on it and it runs like a champ...
    has electrial problems but the engine is a gem

rick

sjashbrook is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Check your information. The catera engine is British; itís shipped to and assembled in the UK to be exact... The catera engine will not, repeat will not be capable of 200k due to the multiple design failures associated with it. Special note on the 97 & 98 production lines, these years models were the most plagued years with major design flaws and screwed up specs from the assembly plant in Reisuhm as to the alignment specs, bushings specs, timing belt settings, and a bunch of other incorrect specs and faulty part designs. The worst to date has been the timing belt, water pump, cam drive failure or as GM refers (not forthcoming) the "walk-home syndrome" when the timing belt fails there goes the cam, pistons, and about 8or9 grand to fix. What better than that but the repeated cases of this "problem" occurring somewhere around 56k or shortly before there after the original factory warranty has expired and the owners left to cover the repairs even after GM's own TSB outlining potential problems as far back as Nov-Dec97 and again in TSB's Jan 98. Cadillac did issue a service campaign on the timing belt back in Sept 02 that was said to have been sent to all owners, yet the majority of owners that didn't get the notice is higher than those that did, I myself did not receive the notice despite the numerous calls into Cadi CS. The notice called for inspection of the timing belt and water pump and replacement if necessary, provided no reimbursements to the owner while the car was at the service dept, but left the final call to the dealers themselves, whom avoid dealing with the Catera's unless they have cash up front. (call any Cadillac Serv Dept needing to get repairs done on the Catera and listen to the hesitation afterwards the uncertainty in explaining the cause of the problem and repairs necessary). The service campaign lead to incredible repair times and major shortages for the parts needed to repair the cars, meanwhile owners had engine failures left and right coming out of their pockets. Today the problem reached new grounds with GM District Managers denying these repair claims under the special warranty revisions, siding that the items repaired because of timing belt failing were not covered under the warranty. Cadillac and General Motors have all but erased any association they have to the catera in all media forums and public information. Try going to the Cadillac website and seeing any information on their site relating to the Catera, or put in the search box catera and see what pulls up...............if that doesn't say more about the position Cadillac/GM have taken its own product, not much will.

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    Well, Id say it depends on its past maintenance..... IF the engine has been taken care of all its life (ALL maintenance done to OEM standards), I think you'll be able to see well into the 200k range...... Im not sure if 300k, but the Germans can make some mighty fine engines...... I dont know enough about the catera engine, but overall Id say most engines nowadays are capable of 200k with good maintenance...... of course, there are the exceptions...... Technically speaking, they'll go forever, it just depends on how much money you wanna fork over!!!!

ogloc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by sjashbrook
    Check your information. The catera engine is British; itís shipped to and assembled in the UK to be exact... The catera engine will not, repeat will not be capable of 200k due to the multiple design failures associated with it. Special note on the 97 & 98 production lines, these years models were the most plagued years with major design flaws and screwed up specs from the assembly plant in Reisuhm as to the alignment specs, bushings specs, timing belt settings, and a bunch of other incorrect specs and faulty part designs. The worst to date has been the timing belt, water pump, cam drive failure or as GM refers (not forthcoming) the "walk-home syndrome" when the timing belt fails there goes the cam, pistons, and about 8or9 grand to fix. What better than that but the repeated cases of this "problem" occurring somewhere around 56k or shortly before there after the original factory warranty has expired and the owners left to cover the repairs even after GM's own TSB outlining potential problems as far back as Nov-Dec97 and again in TSB's Jan 98. Cadillac did issue a service campaign on the timing belt back in Sept 02 that was said to have been sent to all owners, yet the majority of owners that didn't get the notice is higher than those that did, I myself did not receive the notice despite the numerous calls into Cadi CS. The notice called for inspection of the timing belt and water pump and replacement if necessary, provided no reimbursements to the owner while the car was at the service dept, but left the final call to the dealers themselves, whom avoid dealing with the Catera's unless they have cash up front. (call any Cadillac Serv Dept needing to get repairs done on the Catera and listen to the hesitation afterwards the uncertainty in explaining the cause of the problem and repairs necessary). The service campaign lead to incredible repair times and major shortages for the parts needed to repair the cars, meanwhile owners had engine failures left and right coming out of their pockets. Today the problem reached new grounds with GM District Managers denying these repair claims under the special warranty revisions, siding that the items repaired because of timing belt failing were not covered under the warranty. Cadillac and General Motors have all but erased any association they have to the catera in all media forums and public information. Try going to the Cadillac website and seeing any information on their site relating to the Catera, or put in the search box catera and see what pulls up...............if that doesn't say more about the position Cadillac/GM have taken its own product, not much will.
    I'm a little confused with your post. Are you saying the Catera sucks very very very badly or Cadillac sucks very very very badly? That's the question I asked myself when my Catera showeed its true colors. As far as my pocket is concerned, I'll say that Cadillac sucks and keep my money clear of them in any car purchases.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.