Many Tranny Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Many Tranny Issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I seem to have ALL the tranny issues people suffer from. What are the possibilities that everything is wrong with ...
    w98seeng is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Many Tranny Issues

I seem to have ALL the tranny issues people suffer from. What are the possibilities that everything is wrong with my tranny?

First off, my Catera is a 99 with 160,000 KMs (100,000 miles). These are the troubles i have.

1) About 25% of the time the tranny shifts hard from 1st to 2nd.
    2) The tranny slips out of gear for a moment when accelerating around 30 kph. I take my foot off the gas and it's fine.
    3) Tranny goes into limp mode when on the highway. (Has happened about 15 times in last 6 months)
    4) Torque converter stays locked up when coming off highway. (Again, only happened about 15 times)

Can all of these symptoms be because of it's low on tranny fluid?
    Can there be another common problem that would cause all these problems?
    Can a filter and fluid change help?

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Many Tranny Issues

Though I haven't had the same exact problem my transmission slipped badly and acted like it had no 4th gear along with harsh low speed shifts so my cousin Kevin, a mechanic and 2000 Catera Sport owner himself, swapped it out with a lower mileage unit. This was a used unit and not remanufactured. Kevin installed a rebuild kit with new shift solenoids and changed the fluid. The links below lead to a 4L30-E repair manual PDF and a 4L30-E part supplier that you might find helpful if you're a DIYer. At the very least it might give you info to help you make a decision on which way to go. Repair or replace. Don't know if this has been any help but it's all I can give.

http://scottj.info/files/isuzu/4l30e.pdf
    http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...ath=1_11_19_37

willn513 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI
    Man that doesn't sound good. I have had really good luck with a Lucas brand product called "Stop Slip". My wife's old Montero used to do something similar to what you are experiencing and that stuff worked wonders for me. It's basically just a really thick trans fluid that somehow helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

Well, if necessary, there is a u-pick scrap yard near my ho8se that I can get a tranny for $99. My problem is how do I know if it is good or not if it is in a scrap yard?

I am a DIYer and I have been working on cars for the last 30 years, including engine rebuilds, head jobs and the like, but how far do i go with the tranny, shift kit, new parts???

By the way, if the tranny really is shot, how will this affect gas mileage? My only reason I am thinking of getting rid of the car (after the tranny is fixed) is because of the terrible gas mileage.
    I am getting around 350km/tank (210 miles). I've changed the spark plugs, new air filter.

Ian

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'm think you should probably try replacing the neutral safety switch and replace transmission fluid and filter before swapping the tranny out.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    Its really big risk to take tranny from junk yards. I would not pick one that have over 100k on it. If I could find one like that, I would take oil pan down and see how oil situation in it. If its too dark like coffee its mean its never been replaced, I would drain it slowly to see what on the bottom of it, to see if any metal shaving. Rear different connected to, put gear on neutral and spin wheels with your friend in one direction to see if its not locked. Manualy switch gear 1, 2 and 3, try same thing.

pinto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 cadillac catera

i have a 97 Cadillac Catera and when taking off from a stop if i dont push the gas easy it will slip.plus when it is cold it will stay in first gear for about 50-100 feet of taking off from a stop just bought it and know nothing about this car i even checked auto zone for a Haynes manual but they said they dont make one.

I brought the car into a tranny shop and they checked the fluid level. It was only about 1/4 liter low so that wasn't the problem.

Next, I'm going to check the range selector as I have read that this can cause some of the problems I have been having.

As I am most likely going to need another tranny, will any 4L30-E fit or does it need to be out of a Catera? How about a 5L40-E, will this fit?

Thanks,
    Ian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.