97 catera vibrates during acceleration!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 97 catera vibrates during acceleration!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was headed to the store an leaving my parking lot I hit ice an slid side ways a bit ...
    josh42088 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 catera

Unhappy 97 catera vibrates during acceleration!!

I was headed to the store an leaving my parking lot I hit ice an slid side ways a bit then hit dry pavement while still a bit side ways wasn't going fast at all drove on like 5 miles with no problems when I got back in an pulled out it vibrated a bit when I took off didn't think to much of it went through the gears fine I got up to 50 an maintained for a mile or so then went to acc on up to 55 an I vibrated almost like hitting drunk bumps but onnly if i tried to acc nothing while just maintaining speed what's up!!!!! 99 059 miles had it a year with no major problems could use an oil change an other regular maintenance but nothing drastic please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 97 catera vibrates during acceleration!!

I'd guess your sideways travel put stress on some suspension part and messed something up.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Suspension components shouldn't cause vibration like that while accelerating.

Do you feel it through the steering wheel or whole car? Is the check engine light on or flashing? It almost sounds like a misfire.

JohnJJO is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    Thats sucks, u need to do alignment now, also let them check tires balance, u might slightly bend your rimp.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Which end slid out? Front or rear? Which side? Left or right? I'd jack up one corner at a time and spin the tires to check if maybe one got unseated from its wheel. All look OK? Then it might be a wheel tossed a weight. They're usually on the inner sidewall and not obvious to spot. You'll have to have the tire rebalanced if that's the case. If none of that fixes the problem then you'll have to pay someone to check for damaged components but since it happens at a set speed I think it's probably a spinning mass that's at fault. Very unlikely but possible, it could be a bent rear axle or damaged constant velocity (CV) joint.

No difference between what the OP did and throwing the car into a hard corner. He slid onto dry pavement, not a curb or a ditch. It did not affect tire balance (and that would vibrate at all times, not just while accelerating). It did not affect alignment (the tire breaks traction LONG before any steering/suspension components are damaged), and alignment has nothing to do with a vibration. If a tire was "unseated" from a rim, it would be flat. There certainly is no rim damage (and again, that would cause vibration all the time).

Note that the OP drove 5 miles after it happened with no problem. It started the next time he drove the car:

Quote Originally Posted by josh42088
    drove on like 5 miles with no problems when I got back in an pulled out it vibrated a bit when I took off
    The issue is in all likelihood completely unrelated.

----------

BTW, Josh, didn't notice you were a new member.

Hey, I was just working from what he provided. You have to start somewhere. As far as the tire unseating, it happened to me with a Volkswagen. Hit a pothole and the tire shifted its bead. Not completely and not enough to go flat right away but it did shimmy the car at speed. Same Volkswagen, different day, (1971 Squareback) I slid on an icy traffic circle, hit a curb, and bent the lower front trailing arm. Drove it from Flushing Meadows Park to The Bronx like that, tire/wheel tucked under and the car pulling to the left all the way home. No shaking, just pulling. Still say it's a rotating mass. Probably tire/wheel. Maybe even a wheel bearing.

I would say rotating mass as well, except it's only vibrating whole accelerating.

Need feedback from the OP as to what's vibrating. And maybe there's more to the story.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Tie rod, engine mount.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    Tie rod, engine mount.
    Engine mount would be my theory. Vibrates when torque is appied during acceleration

You guys gave me an idea. Forget the wheels, it could be the transmission mount. It's mostly a rubber pad and I needed mine replaced when the tranny work was done. Everything in the tranny rotates, including the drive shaft, and it fits the "under acceleration" part.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.