Replacing ignition lock cylinder
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kaustein
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Replacing ignition lock cylinder in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Recently replaced the ignition lock cylinder on my camera..prior to thatb it had always started right up..now it will not ...
    miky03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Replacing ignition lock cylinder

Recently replaced the ignition lock cylinder on my camera..prior to thatb it had always started right up..now it will not start..has a brand new battery. Has gas and also wires give off spark. .anyone know if the computer must be reset or something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Replacing ignition lock cylinder

Oddest post I've scene?
    investor74 likes this.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    U mean ignition coil?
    Computer dont need to be reset!
    But u can try. Best way to do it:
    remove both cable and touch positive and negative wire together, install wires back on battery, put key on position ON but do not crank, u have to leave key on position ON for 3 min, then try to crank and see if its stars

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Wow, Catera ===========> Camera? That is some serious spell checking / auto complete.

If you changed the lock cylinder, it came with new keys? The new keys have a transponder which must be programmed to the car's computer. A Catera will not start without the key transponder mated to the car, even if the key fits in the lock cylinder and turns. You can get the dealer to do it, but check on this forum to see if there are any other options.

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera
    When I needed key programmed I called a mobile locksmith, came right to my driveway and was done in 10 mins. cost me $40 if I recall correctly

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

That is a great price. Deal will tell you to bend over and grab your ankles.

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera
    Surprisingly enough the first time I tried to get a second key cut and programmed at my local caddy dealer they cut the key but apparently could not get it to program. Are you ready for it they didn't charge me anything even though the key was cut and for the hour and about 10 minutes he was trying. This is the really weird part I came home and for s***s and giggles tried to start car and it fired up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.