Speedometer problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Speedometer problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Please guys help me with my speedometer and RPM odometer its happened today. Please watch my video I just posted ...
    JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Speedometer problem

Please guys help me with my speedometer and RPM odometer its happened today. Please watch my video I just posted on YouTube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar4Q...e_gdata_player

Thanks you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Speedometer problem

abs module may be bad. common problem if that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    abs module may be bad. common problem if that is it.
    ABS module was rebuild already at "Module Master" 3 years ago. When I had that problem check engine was light up with few codes, I think it was 3 codes including Cadillac special U code, I think u2108. Now I have no check engine! Cam sheft and crank sheft position sensor was replaced, about 2 years ago. Its look like its crank sheft sensor went out, cuz I had same symptoms last time.
    My car was seatting for about 3 hour, its cooled down, I started and everything works with the exception of dashboard bulb between speedometer and fuel gauge, but that fine I can deal with it later and replace bulds. BUT why would that bulb went out at the same time???.....
    Anyway, after I went to the store, speedometer and RMP odometer was working , I bought some stuff at the store, got back in the car, start, and its quite again. Looks like something after its heating up is quitting, soooo why would my speedometer needle shakes and it's bellow zero....

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

My oil and voltage meter and some dash lights were intermittantly working a while back. Cleaning the instrument panel connector cleared it up. Try smacking the dash when it's not working and see if it comes to life.

Quote Originally Posted by marko69 View Post
    My oil and voltage meter and some dash lights were intermittantly working a while back. Cleaning the instrument panel connector cleared it up. Try smacking the dash when it's not working and see if it comes to life.
    I had experience with it too on Nissan that I was fixing for my friend. I already smash it to see if its come back on. But it didnt. I'll try to smash it again harder
    Thanks anyway

Pretty mush gauges starts working on cold engine as soon as I shut off on warm engine they quiting on me

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJJO View Post
    Pretty mush gauges starts working on cold engine as soon as I shut off on warm engine they quiting on me
    I think my gauges quit when I put on parking with out full stop. My car shacked, I pretty mush stoped vehicle by transition....
    My friend told me that i could burn solenoid on instrumental panel due to fact that one of my bulbs went out too.
    Also whem my speedometer works on cold its off. When I seat on red loght its showing 5mph. When I slowes down fast I can really see that my speedometer going slower then my speed.

I think my gauges quit when I put on parking with out full stop. My car shacked, I pretty mush stoped vehicle by transition....
    My friend told me that i could burn solenoid on instrumental panel due to fact that one of my bulbs went out too.
    Also whem my speedometer works on cold its off. When I seat on red loght its showing 5mph. When I slowes down fast I can really see that my speedometer going slower then my speed.
    This is proof that you shouldn't drink and post at the same time!

I'd like to help, but I don't have any idea as to what you are talking about.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Dear god! Are you typing with your feet?

Have you pulled codes?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The IPC gets information from several places, the gages are not linked to the same inputs as the tach and speedometer.
    The gages get info directly from sensors, the speedo and tach are "serial data".
    That means they are getting information from another module and just displaying it. You either have a faulty input or a faulty output meaning that either the data is not being transmitted for the IPC to read, or the IPC is getting it but an internal malfunction is keeping it from being displayed.

The check engine light could be a bad bulb, I think they are serviceable on Catera but I can't be sure. We could get them before but it wasn't easy.
    The check engine light is controlled by yet another circuit.
    Some testing needs to be done, but given the description you have given I would say that it is POSSIBLE that the engine controller has gone bad and is not working the CEL or sending correct data to the IPC (cluster).
    If I had my hands on it, I would do some circuit testing to be sure that the data bus is intact and sending signals to the IPC. If I had a scan tool I would see if the ECM is communicating properly and verify that I could read the data parameters for those specific sensors. From there I would also check the wiring from the IPC to the ECM and verify that the control circuit for the CEL is good, it feeds off the same internal power circuit as the air bag light so if that works the CEL is either burned out or missing the turn on signal from the ECM.

I wouldn't pretend to know exactly what is wrong but that is how I would start the diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post

This is proof that you shouldn't drink and post at the same time!

I'd like to help, but I don't have any idea as to what you are talking about.
    Lol. Im from Ukrainian, I moved to usa in 2008, I live in North Carolina. So sorry for any miss spell

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Dear god! Are you typing with your feet?

Have you pulled codes?
    There is no check engine light

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

Possibly a bad EBCM. My manual says that both get it's signal from the EBCM.

Speedometer
    The IPC displays vehicle speed as determined by the EBCM. The IPC monitors the vehicle speed signal circuit to determine the vehicle speed.

Tachometer
    The IPC monitors the engine speed signal circuit from the EBCM in order to determine engine speed.

Lol. Im from Ukrainian, I moved to usa in 2008, I live in North Carolina. So sorry for any miss spell

----------

Ok, that sort of makes sense. Welcome!

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJJO
    The CEL will illuminate for emissions related codes only. Have them pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The CEL will illuminate for emissions related codes only. Have them pulled.
    Thanks for help. Check engine light bulb works. I pulled codes with obd2 and got nothing. There is othere way to pull them???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.