Oil leak and dripping on to exhaust pipe and causing light smoke
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Oil leak and dripping on to exhaust pipe and causing light smoke in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay, had some oil leaks that was dripping on to the exhaust area, so I changed the valve cover gaskets, ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Oil leak and dripping on to exhaust pipe and causing light smoke

Okay, had some oil leaks that was dripping on to the exhaust area, so I changed the valve cover gaskets, new upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, cleaned the black plastic lines, breather box and washed the under of the car but I can still see slight oil leak and smoke.

I checked around the valve covers and everything looks dry and my only guess is now the exhaust manifold might be the issue because I can see it a little oily residue under the exhaust cover / shield area.

or

Could it be something else that's causing the slight leak and smoke or could it be the old oil that fell on to the exhaust shield area and it taking some time to dry out?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Oil leak and dripping on to exhaust pipe and causing light smoke

Unless you cleaned the crankcase breather box you still have oil spraying on the exhaust heatshields. It's a build-up of internal pressure that causes the leak. The breather relieves this pressure. Read more:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...?topic=90653.0

The breather box was cleaned and air flows through it. I checked it before putting the valve cover gaskets on. Also no leaks from the valve cover gaskets so my only guess is probably head gaskets.

I see some oil where the exhaust pipe meets to the block. More on driver's side.

Well, after driving it today I didn't see any smoke or leaks. I'm guessing it was the oil that leaked previously is burning away.

I'll monitor it for few more days and keep you all posted...thanks.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.