HID Fog Lights Re K134
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, HID Fog Lights Re K134 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello All: These Cats keep us busy don't they? I upgraded my fog lights to HIDs, but am having no ...
    libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

Question HID Fog Lights Re K134

Hello All: These Cats keep us busy don't they? I upgraded my fog lights to HIDs, but am having no luck getting them to work. I tested them on the workbench and they were good. In the car they don't even flicker. I can't find any reference to a fuse for these things, but relay K134 apparently controls them. I took out the relay and checked all the soldered connections and they are all fine.There has to be a fuse or breaker somewhere, any ideas? Cheers, Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    You need to run a separate relay and power wiring to run the HIDs and only use the oem wiring as a trigger. And ballasts only work with proper polarity so you may have reversed the wiring.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Re: HID Fog Lights Re K134

Hello Ludacrisvp: Thanks for your reply. I hadn't given any thought that the polarity may be wrong, but i'll check it. adding another relay might prove to be too much of a task for this guy. I changed my low beams to HID also and one of them keeps going off, but the other one stays on just fine. Had I known these things were going to be such a pain I would never have done it. Cheers, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by libbysman View Post
    Hello Ludacrisvp: Thanks for your reply. I hadn't given any thought that the polarity may be wrong, but i'll check it. adding another relay might prove to be too much of a task for this guy. I changed my low beams to HID also and one of them keeps going off, but the other one stays on just fine. Had I known these things were going to be such a pain I would never have done it. Cheers, Brian
    The fog symptoms you are having are typical for reversed polarity.
    The low beam symptoms are typical for needing a relay as the ballast isn't able to draw enough amperage through those tiny oem wires. Sometimes this can be worked around by swapping ballasts around since most of the kits are rather low quality ballasts some of them draw more power than others. So you might find between the 4 ballasts you have that two of them draw low enough power that you can run them as the low beams without having one flicker and turn off. (Which could also be a sign of a defective lamp too).

Hi Ludacrisvp: I've never monkeyed around with this type of light before, so I appreciate your experience being offered. Are the ballasts universal, or do I have to match them to a particular bulb unit? The wiring appears to be identical between different sets. I'll follow your suggestion and do some swapping to see what works. Thanks again. Cheers, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by libbysman View Post
    Hi Ludacrisvp: I've never monkeyed around with this type of light before, so I appreciate your experience being offered. Are the ballasts universal, or do I have to match them to a particular bulb unit? The wiring appears to be identical between different sets. I'll follow your suggestion and do some swapping to see what works. Thanks again. Cheers, Brian
    In your case the ballasts are universal the only differences between the setups are the base of the lamp being formed for each type of lamp.

Are these the mini ballasts that have a large brick on the power cable or the larger ones that just have wires in and wires out with no brick on the cables?
    Just curious.

Hi Again:

There are two boxes, one flat maybe 3.5x4", and a smaller one that says 1,500v or something like that. The bulbs are F3 configuration with a round slot and a square slot for locating the bulb. Regards, Brian

----------

Ludacrisvp: My mistake, I meant H3 bulbs. Regards, Brian

Here is a full sized aftermarket ballast:

Here is an aftermarket mini ballast:

I assume you have the mini one / style. (they do vary a bit from brand to brand.)
    I've had better reliability from the full sized ones but either should work.

If they look similar to each of those then they are universal and will work with your low beam and fog conversion (you just have to leave the lamps in the appropriate housing).

Hello Ludacrisvp: Thank you for that. Yes, mine are the mini variety. I probably won't get time to crawl under the car until the weekend. I noticed with my low beam lights on the way home from work last night that the light will come back on if I turn the lights off and then back on. I did that a couple of times and they eventually stayed on. Would that be a surge situation? I have lots of voltage coming out of the battery, but I guess its like you said about light car wiring from the factory. I was of the opinion that these lights would draw less power than the halogen type. Are they like an electric motor that draws a lot of juice on start-up then draw less? Either way, I'm going to do some swapping around and maybe make all the circuits happy and have all the lights on. Regards, Brian

They do have a high initial draw some around 10 amps for a minute or so for some ballasts then go down to about 3 amps while running steady.

Hi Ludacrisvp: Well, I'm awaiting delivery of 4 relay harnesses for the low beams and my fog lights. The drivers low beam really gets wierd when the system overloads. It flashes off and on for about ten seconds, the warning lights on the right side of the IP all come on for about 3 seconds. At that time the headlight goes out. We've had some very cold weather for the last week or so ( usually pretty temperate ), so I'm not fretting over having to wait for delivery. It's surprising how much light I'm getting from the single light though.

I would like to take this moment to thank everyone thats offered assistance to those of us endearing the Cat, and wish everyone the best of the season, and please play safe. Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.