EBCTCM issues and replacement help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, EBCTCM issues and replacement help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Pretty sure I need to replace the EBCTCM. Any advice on the process and best deals on replacement/repair is greatly ...
    wardgailey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

EBCTCM issues and replacement help

Pretty sure I need to replace the EBCTCM. Any advice on the process and best deals on replacement/repair is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

overplayed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera

Re: EBCTCM issues and replacement help

I just replaced mine on my 2001. I sent the module to BBA Reman to have it fixed for $60. I bought the service through Ebay but they have a separate web site. It is a true pain and test of patience to remove and replace. The brake valve that comes out with the EBTCM is twice the size of the module. I ended up just yanking mine out in anger. When I installed it, I removed the brake lines coming from the master cylinder and tied the others to the side. You should do that when you take yours out. You will also need to remove power steering reservoir. The clip on the wiring harness is also tricky. If you have the factory manual, the picture is wrong. The tab you have to pull out is on the same side the wires come out of. The tab is reddish in color and comes out about 1 1/2 inches. Hope this helps.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by overplayed View Post
    I just replaced mine on my 2001. I sent the module to BBA Reman to have it fixed for $60. I bought the service through Ebay but they have a separate web site. It is a true pain and test of patience to remove and replace. The brake valve that comes out with the EBTCM is twice the size of the module. I ended up just yanking mine out in anger. When I installed it, I removed the brake lines coming from the master cylinder and tied the others to the side. You should do that when you take yours out. You will also need to remove power steering reservoir. The clip on the wiring harness is also tricky. If you have the factory manual, the picture is wrong. The tab you have to pull out is on the same side the wires come out of. The tab is reddish in color and comes out about 1 1/2 inches. Hope this helps.
    I'm afraid you went a little overboard to remove the EBTCM. I had a EBTCM failure and removed it without all that work. Here's some advice I gave to another owner and he said he found it useful. Hope it helps:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-question.html

How did you get access to the bracket bolts? I just went and looked, I could see them both.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

I didn't say it was easy, just that you don't have to remove all the stuff that you did. I don't remember exactly how I did it but there was cursing involved and a u-joint attachment for my ratchet wrench. Once you remove the mounting bolts leave one loose to use as a pivot to tilt the ABS pump back. That gives you a clear shot at the EBTCM screws.

Knowing how I did it and looking at how you did it, if I had to do again tomorrow I would try your way. Either way, its not fun. I didn't curse that much, but I had beer and plenty of time. Its not that it I hard to do, there I jut no space to do it. Tightening a brake line 1/20th a turn at a time, not fun.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.