2001 Catera timing belt replaced, now won't start...HELP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2001 Catera timing belt replaced, now won't start...HELP! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi All, I replaced the timing belt, tensioners, camshaft seals and crankshaft seal, new radiator on my in laws Catera ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2001 Catera timing belt replaced, now won't start...HELP!

Hi All,

I replaced the timing belt, tensioners, camshaft seals and crankshaft seal, new radiator on my in laws Catera and now it won't start. Need help!!!

The camshaft seals were leaking so had to remove the camshaft sprockets and get the new ones in. I had to turn the cams manually because it went out of placed while removing the cam sprockets. I lined everything up with the timing marks, installed new timing belt and did two full revolutions and everything lines up and now it's not starting. Also, when I try to start the car, it would turn over but not smooth like it used to be. I tried cranking it 3 or 4 times and after that it dies out completely. Did I damage something (valves or something else). Also, noticed that "S" sport mode on the instrument panel flashes when I have the car ON position. Could it be an electrical issue now? Car was running fine until I did the timing belt change. Also, there is fuel coming to lines because I checked it by loosening the fuel line by intake and it was spraying out.

Any other information you need please let me know.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

----------

a quick update...I just scanned with my code scanner and it showed

P1120 - Throttle positioning sensor 1 circuit

P1220 - Throttle position sensor 2 circut fault.

Could these codes cause the car not to start?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    Did u connect wire back to throttle body ??? Its a small wire right under body.
    Delete your messages . Nobody can send u privet messages. Its over full
    Do u have snapchat on your phone ?
    I can send u some videos tomorrow. Right from my phone recording mine

Re: 2001 Catera timing belt replaced, now won't start...HELP!

I deleted some messages in my inbox and yes the wires are connected but still S mode flashing and won't start. I disconnected the battery now and will try in a bit to see if it resets something.

Thanks.

Anyone?

Also, like I said in my first post when the engine cranks it doesn't feel smooth so not sure if the timing is a little off causing that to happen and again I did two full revolutions and all markings line up after the timing belt swap.

Hi,

Just a quick update - I took the timing cover off now and turned the crank to TDC and noticed that the cams are one tooth off from the timing cover marking. Could that be why it wouldn't start or feel the rough feel off crank?

Thanks.

Yes !!!!! I had the same thing.

Another update - I redid the timing now and everything lines perfectly even after I did the 2 full revolutions and it's lining up to all markings. I erased all codes and let the throttle relearn and "S" Sport mode not flashing anymore. I can hear the throttle clicking...etc and the car cranks better but not starting. I scanned again and showing P0340 camshaft position sensor bank 1, is that sensor located by the driver's side under the upper intake area? If so, I swapped it with another one and it didn't make any difference. Car cranks but not starting.

I cleared the code again and charged up the battery and then cranked it again and it almost started but then died so scanned the code and getting now P0341 camshaft postion sensor performance bank 1. I hope it's the right sensor I changed by the upper intake area (driver's side).

So far no luck with getting it started. Unless I'm looking at the wrong camshaft sensor. Is there one on passenger side? I'm confused, bank 1 is passenger side right?

----------

I charged up the battery again and cranked it and no luck, sounds like it wants to fire up but doesn't . The only code is P0340 camshaft position sensor bank 1. I swapped the sensors on to my 98 catera and it starts fine and my in law catera no luck.....grrr.

I have no idea what to do now.

I'm thinking if the camshaft pin markings are different on this 2001 catera, probably someone did something to it before my in laws got this car.

Before I took the cam sprockets off I remember seeing the camshaft markings upside down. This is after turning the crank to TDC. Could that be why the car wouldn't start now even though I have it on the right place and maybe I should try that out and bring the cam pins down.

Is that a possibilty and any suggestions?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJJO View Post
    Did u connect wire back to throttle body ??? Its a small wire right under body.
    Delete your messages . Nobody can send u privet messages. Its over full
    Do u have snapchat on your phone ?
    I can send u some videos tomorrow. Right from my phone recording mine
    Can you send me the videos please? I did the timing belt on my 98 catera with no problems, this was about 7 months ago and here is the link so not sure why I can't get 2001 Catera to start after replacing timing kit.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3355593

this is how the camshaft pins look after TDC and taking sprockets off. Should I keep it like this or go per what service manual says?

Timing marks off!

Redid the timing again and still no start, not sure because i moved the camshaft pins by what the book said and after replacing the cam seals

This is after 2 full revolutions, see timing marks.

Thanks.

Does anyone have a different timing belt (mainly how the camshaft pins should be positioned) procedure that they are willing to share so I can compare it with the GM service manual?

Thanks

I bought mine at autozone - duralast, made by dunco.
    All catera have engine 3.0L, they use same timing belt.
    Some timing belt have 2 layouts of marks on them. For to different engines , mine dunco had 1 layout

okay, I was talking about the timing belt procedure and not the kit. The kit I have is the dayco. Also, I think I might know what the problem is when I moved the crank I think piston 1 might be 180 deg off so going to check and see if that is down instead of being up (TDC) and then adjust the cams again correctly.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    okay, I was talking about the timing belt procedure and not the kit. The kit I have is the dayco. Also, I think I might know what the problem is when I moved the crank I think piston 1 might be 180 deg off so going to check and see if that is down instead of being up (TDC) and then adjust the cams again correctly.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress...thanks.
    Ok. When I put my belt on . I brought cylinder one allway on the top, befor taking belt off. U just remove spark plug on cylinder one, stick long screw driver in, twist crank until cylinder will be on the top end and push screw driver out, u have to stop twist as soon as screw driver starts to go down.

satlite440 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): tec at brotherton cadillac

the 1&2 and 3&4 sprockets are interchangable.. but pass exhaust cam i 1 and should have the 1 mark up pass intake is cam 2 2's mark should be up.. you #3 looks ok but your drivers exhaust looks like you have the #3 mark as well so that cam would be off.. can't tell as you have the cam alignment plate over the gears.... but if i remeber right the drivers bank should have the cam pins top and intogether...

Another update - brought No.1 cylinder up and the cam pins were off, so turned the crank back to 60deg BTDC and realigned all cam pins and then turned the crank to TDC. I installed timing belt and everything else and the car is running with no problems...Woot Woot !!!!

Thanks to everyone that helped out!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.