Key stuck in ignition!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Key stuck in ignition!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I can't get my key out!! Has anyone has this problem too??...
    lawnpatio is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Key stuck in ignition!!

I can't get my key out!! Has anyone has this problem too??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Camia is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Key stuck in ignition!!

Yeah, that happened to me before but it was because I forgot to put it on "park." I also panicked but I realized that I used the emergency park first and my foot was on the breaks to shift it to park.

Or try to straighten the wheel first.

I just got off the phone from a friend who works for GMC and told me to sell my Catera and buy a different car.

Camia

caddlovers is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Tell your friend find different job, Camia - he/she should work somwhere in Ford or K-Mart... Cadillac requires different type of respect being employee of this great company

inconnu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lawnpatio
    I can't get my key out!! Has anyone has this problem too??
    Try putting your foot on the brake (in key in ACC postion) and pulling up the switch on the gear shift leaver ,sometimes that switch gets stuck

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

There were issues with the key getting stuck or hard to remove from the ignition cylinder...

Heres a TSB on it:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...achmentid=5273

98blkcatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I Had That Proplem Before All You Have To Do Is Turn The Car Back On And Move The Car Back Or Forward And Then Turn Off Car And The Key Sould Come Out

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Lightbulb Re: Key stuck in ignition!!

If you wiggle or move the shifter lightly then you know it is the TSB items you need to check including insuring the parts are moving freely into the Parking notch position. With the noise from the door auto locks popping it is hard to hear if there is a sound indicating key release actuation when the shifter is brought to Park. My dealer lubricated the Lock cylinder and it helped a bit but did not completely work out to full satisfaction.

The TSB appears to be straightforward as I have the same issue. I will someone go through TSB steps and report back progress or anything useful over the next little while.

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

You could disable the auto-door lock feature, if it helps you determine the problem.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...77&postcount=2

realsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yes, I am having the same problem. My #1 key is so bad I can hardly get it out. I took it to the dealer last week and he said I must have damaged the key. It has some scratches on the end of it. He offered to make me a new key for $105. I called Cadillac when I got home and explained to them I only have 15,700 miles on my 2001 Catera and I did not damage the key. It has always been like this. Also the car is still under bumper to bumper warranty. They said it would not cover damage or misuse.

Well Cadillac, explain to me why the #2 key is starting to do it now that I am using it all the time. Could it be that something in the ignition is causing the key to get chewed up or do I have an alligator in my pocket?

This is rediculous and I think Cadillac needs to stand up for what is right and stand behind their product!!! I will take this into consideration when I purchase a new car!

realsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Member

6/16/05 I took a copy of the service bullitin I got off the thread to the dealer and they replaced the ignition cylinder. That's what it took to get the attention to fix the problem.

AllenPacla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The dealership is filled with people who pretend they know a lot about your car, but in reality they don't have a clue. If a mechanic from GM says that the Catera is a bad car to own, then it could be that he doesn't know anything about the car. Because i also have a friend mechanic who works at GM and he said that if he is going to buy a second hand car, the Catera is at the top of his list. It's just a matter of knowing what really is the matter and doing the right thing when fixing the Catera. He is one lucky guy because he just got a Catera 99 with 60,000 miles for $500.00. The owner gave up on the car and my friend mechanic is one happy buyer because he knows how the Catera should be taken care of.

Caddy303 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

we had the same promblem when you put in part on the shifter the little latch thing you hold doen to change gears sometimes get stuck push it down. put you two finger in there and push it down if that doesnt work pull it up and then push it down that is what we do it works I dont know what caused it to not work

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.