Caterra nightmare
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Caterra nightmare in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I wish I would have seen this forum before I bought this car but now I'm stuck. Here's my scenario: ...
    Firsttimecaddyowner is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

Caterra nightmare

I wish I would have seen this forum before I bought this car but now I'm stuck. Here's my scenario:
    Lady had a 2000 Caterra that had been sitting for awhile because her Dad past away. Has 157,000 and she
    told me that it needed a valve cover gasket. Went and took it for a test spin and the car started and ran great.
    When I got back there was some smoke rolling off the engine which I contributed to the blown valve cover gasket.
    I picked the car up the following weekend, stopped by a couple stores on my way home and had no issues with car
    starting. Following morning drove it to the store with no problem. Car sat for basically 2 1/2 days and I got in
    it to take over to the mechanic who was going to change my valve gasket and that's when my nightmare begins.
    The car would start but then would die immediately. It's got plenty of gas, a brand new air filter, we even checked the
    fuel pressure from the rail and it's seems to be getting plenty. My dilemma is, after reading all these posts and threads
    from other Caterra owners I really don't know where to start. I mean is there anyway to tell if the Crank Position Sensor or
    the Camshaft Position Sensor is bad before I start spending $50-$60 bucks on nonreturnable electrical parts. I mean, I saw
    some other scenarios where you guys have thought it was either the fuel pump or even the a/c serpentine thing. The fact
    that it starts and then dies has me baffled. It's like something is kicking it off. I even did the reset thing with the ignition
    key thinking it might be the security deal I've seen other people have trouble with. I rented one of those diagnostic testers
    from Autozone, plugged it in to the computer and every time it came back; "No error codes found". Man, if anyone has any
    ideas on how to proceed, aside from parking it in the bottom of a lake, I would be very grateful. I mean when I test drove the
    car it seams like a pretty fun, sporty vehicle with excellent handling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

CKPs don't always set codes, but it's odd that you didn't at least get a stall code. I would try a different scan tool to be sure.

How much fuel pressure is it putting out?

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    U can order parts online that what I do. Its save u tons of money. Go to rockauto.com or to ebay. U can find sensor there for $30. When mine went out I didnt have codes

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Caterra nightmare

Curious, care to say how much you spent for the car?

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

How long was the car sitting? Is it possible that there is water moisture in the tank that has worked its way to the engine? Possible CKP, but huge coincidence if it was just running fine.

car it seams like a pretty fun, sporty vehicle with excellent handling.
    Somewhat underpowered and average handling for a sedan at best. Check your rear springs. They have a tendency to break close to the tray that they sit in.

That said, the car is excellent for cruising the interstate. Smooth ride, quiet, nice climate control, excellent sound system, and average gas mileage.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    That may be the nicest thing you've ever posted Kaustein. Lol.

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera
    Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post

Somewhat underpowered and average handling for a sedan at best. Check your rear springs. They have a tendency to break close to the tray that they sit in.

That said, the car is excellent for cruising the interstate. Smooth ride, quiet, nice climate control, excellent sound system, and average gas mileage.
    I hear ya, Im surprised just as much as you are cabbage. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 98Catera_2010 View Post
    I hear ya, Im surprised just as much as you are cabbage. Lol
    I've always been honest, but not everyone has appreciated my honesty!

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera
    Sometimes its just plain bashing us and our cars. Making us feel like we've made bad decisions buying them. When not all problem have happened to everybody and every car made .

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    If your car have over 120000miles.
    Your front horizontal bushings need to be replaced automatically! !!!! They might look good but its not!!!!!! My bushings was look just fine even verticals, after I replaced them, differents was tremendously! !!

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Read my post on the Catera. It's a combination history and review. Since you're new to the car you might find it helpful. http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t...y-elvin-rivera

Check out the other Catera/Omega sites too. The Omega is the European version of our car, identical except for badging and RHD.

Catera Owners:
    http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/

Yahoo:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CateraOwners/info

Vauxhall Owners Network:
    http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....ners-forum.29/

Omega Owners Forum:
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php

bashing us and our cars
    There is no "us." I bought one of these monstrosities too. I have every right to bash this car and the other crap cars that I bought. Hell I bout a Fiat when Fiat stood for

Fix
    It
    Again
    Tony

I'd never buy another or a Caddy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.