Quick question about valve covers.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Quick question about valve covers. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was told from a buddy that the 01 Saab 9-5 valve covers would fit on the 01 Catera block ...
    CodyCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01' Cadillac Catera

Quick question about valve covers.

I was told from a buddy that the 01 Saab 9-5 valve covers would fit on the 01 Catera block with no modifications. If this is the case which set of gaskets would I use?

I recently replaced the valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets, and for awhile my car seemed to run fine. Until recently I've noticed when I get out after
    a drive of 15-20 mins there is a light smoke coming form under the hood and smells like burning oil.

If the gaskets fail or something else in the top end breaks I'll redo the whole thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JohnJJO is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    They are but I think only on models up to 1999, on my 2000 sport I replaced 3 years ago and its leak again for pass year now. So I dont know what to do.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Quick question about valve covers.

Saab used the same V6 as the Catera, Saturn too, so the covers will fit however since those were FWD cars the engine was mounted transverse instead of longitudinal like ours so the oil filler will be in a different spot. IRRC it'll be on the passenger side near the firewall.

The smoke is caused by crankcase pressure blowing oil past the gaskets and onto the exhaust heat shields. New gaskets alone won't fix it. You have to clean out the crankcase breather. It clogs with gunk and leads to the pressure build-up. The clean-up procedure link below is courtesy of The Omega Owners Forum.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...604#msg1155604

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.