Considering buying a Catera please help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Considering buying a Catera please help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I am currently looking for a new vehicle and have narrowed it down to either a Catera or the ...
    blownsi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Considering buying a Catera please help

Hi,
    I am currently looking for a new vehicle and have narrowed it down to either a Catera or the new Mazda 6. I've always wanted a Catera but now that Ive seen some reviews and complaints online I am greatly questioning my future purchase. I am looking at 2 currently. One is a 2000 with 35k miles and the asking price is $12995. The other is a 2001 Sport with every option for $16995. I guess basically i wanna know why it would cost 4 grand more for the second one. Also if your happy with yours and if I should purchase one. Another thing too is concerning the bose stuff. I found that it is very hard/impossible to do stereo upgrades on these cars. My question is do you actually have to uninstall or bypass the bose stuff or couldn't you just run all new wiring and leave the bose in place?
    Thanks for your input it is much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mbbankk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    well, from what I understand the 97's and 98's where the trouble makers, after that opel figured out what they were messing up and fixed most of it. I have a 97 and I have had every major engine componant except alternator and radiator replaced, and my starter is going out right now. DON'T BUY A 97 OR 98. as far as the price difference I'm guessing since it's a year younger and the sports model.

As far as stereos go, I had a set of 2 twelves installed today, the only thing I needed to make it work with the bose was a 10 dollar line out converter, it just lets you turn down the signal before it hits your amp.
    It was a kenwood 800 watt amp, and tonight I noticed my headlights dimming, so I think I'm gonna need a 1 F cap. Since the car is so loaded any extra electrical stuff is gonna push it past the edge so to speak.
    hope this helps.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Considering buying a Catera please help

The 2000 and 2001 are probably the best models for the catera... Id go with the sport model.......

They are MUCH less problematic than the earliers ones..... Its a nice choice in cadillacs..........

Since the car is still young, Id consider getting an extended warranty for it...... It will most likely pay for itself.......

blownsi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks for your input.
    I ended up buying another 2001 sport model that I found with only 19k miles for $16 grand. Nice car, I'm very happy. I am curious though besides the local cadillac dealer is there a good place to buy parts online at a cost savings? Mine is missing a rear ashtray and I'd like to replace it.
    Thanks again

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Ls1 Catera project is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I always answer that question as what to buy where to buy?

I think every one should service a car as people that serviced it as once what people did not understand it was that people who had Cateras it was first build with extra care and need to have it build in one solid car as Catera. Well yes their where some slacks in early models but where not protective of them as later models once they found out about it. What every one need to understand is that if you can find like me a 97 model with only 58.ooo miles go for it. Find a 80.ooo one it been driven and damaged then dont buy it. Well I am happy in my case and that how it turned out I got lucky. So for you I hope you some luck too and do everything that service in manual and on top profecional European mechanics tell you to do if it needs to be done.

Good luck with you car.

Sport model is loved by me.
    It got that extra slick trotle by wire design of more of modern 21st century car. I also like my 97 as it being more slick in its own way with modifications I done to it. Every time I see Catera Sport I kick in my S botom and waroom I take of letting Sport model know that CTS might of flue by which is my 97 Catera.

Good luck again and have fun safely.

Ls1 Catera project is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Buy A Mazda 6

??????????????????

Buy A Car That Finaly Feels Like A Sport Sedan

?????????????????

Or Buy Cts

?????????????????

Wait Ctsv

????????????????

But Why Then You Can Get 4 Door 4 Banger That Is Quicker?

???????????????

Bmw M 5 Is That I Drive Once I Am Sick Of Catera Some People Probably Say About Cateras.

???????????????

But I Say I Drive Moded Out Catera At All Times.

??????????????

Good Luck

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Problem is, Catera's just don't look like a Cadillac, then again, neither does a CTS. But I'll take the Catera styling over the boxy CTS anyday. IMO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.