Ebtcm ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Ebtcm ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have an 01 Catera with the TC light and ABS light on with the odometer not working. The check ...
    overplayed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera

Ebtcm ?

I have an 01 Catera with the TC light and ABS light on with the odometer not working. The check engine light burned out with an o2 sensor so I am not sure if it is on. When the problem first started, it was only for short periods of time the lights were on but has progressed to the point they are on all the time with brief moments where everything works fine. I had the codes read at autozone and they were; P0650, P0727, U2108, P01700, P0411, P0500 and P0442. Does anyone know from experience that these codes match for being the EBTCM issue? I would hate to spend the money and the few hours shoving my hands in to that tight space, cursing the whole time, just to find that it was not the issue.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: Ebtcm ?

P0500 is "vehicle speed sensor A malfunction". That is consistent with your symptoms.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Codes are meaningless without definitions. Always include definitions when listing codes.

Those are all P (Powertrain) codes. They don't point towards a faulty EBTCM.

List the definitions.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Sounds like an ABS module. I had the same issue. Dealer wanted $1700+ but I took it out and shipped it some place in Idaho for a rebuild. Total with shipping, removal/install was $550, with a 5 year warrantee as opposed to GMs one year.

The EBTCM IS the "ABS module".

A vehicle speed sensor code does not point to it being faulty.

Code meanings; P0650 is my check engine light has burnt out, P0727 is engine speed not getting sent to TCM, U2108 is TCM not getting signal from EBTCM, P0500 is no speed signal from left rear wheel (EBTCM could be the cause) P0411 and P0442 are unrelated to the issue and there is no P01700 in the manual (code from AutoZone) but P1700 is an emissions related transmission fault. What does the transmission emit? As far as the symptoms go, from what I know, the EBTCM is a likely cause. I just want to know if anyone had the same faults when they had the issue just to make sure I am not going the wrong way. How would I go about checking the left rear wheel speed sensor?

P0500 isn't for the left rear WSS, it's for the VSS.

P0727 could be caused by a failing CKP sensor, but if the code is current, and you're not having any stalling/hard start problems, it's most likely a communications problem between the TCM and ECM.

P1700 just means that the TCM has illuminated the MIL. Because if the other codes.

Nothing is pointing to the EBTCM.

DTC P0500 Circuit Description per manual. The left rear wheel speed sensor provides a signal to the electronic brake and traction control module (ECTBM). In addition to wheel speed information, the signal from the left rear wheel speed sensor provides the only input tor vehicle speed information. The ECTBM sends out a vehicle speed signal based on the information from this sensor.

Ok, so there's no dedicated VSS, that explains that. But why assume the EBTCM is faulty, and not the sensor?

I am not assuming. I'm asking if anyone that has experienced the issue of ECTBM failure had the same codes. I do not want to replace the wrong part as money is tight, and looking at the location of the ECTBM, I don't think I would enjoy replacing it. That being said, there is no way the P0500 would cause the P0727, engine speed not getting sent to TCM.

No, P0500 and P0727 are unrelated. I already listed the possible causes for P0727.

You have a manual (FSM?), just test the WSS.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Speaking from experience, the U2108 translates to a communication breakdown between the EBTCM and the main CPU. Check fuse #19 and the codes first but it's likely the EBTCM. I sent mine to Module Masters (google their site) and its worked fine for over 2 years. I had the same symptoms. No speedo, abs, tc, cruise, etc. Your low speed power steering will feel stiffer because the EBTCM adjusts that. Your brakes will still function but you'll lose the ABS.

It looks hard to remove but it's not that bad. The actual module is black and mounts to the ABS pump (it's the one with all the brake lines attached). Removing it is a matter of pulling the plug and enough screws to allow you to tilt its mounting bracket up at the front to enable you to remove the screws that hold the EBTCM to the ABS pump. No brake lines need to be detached and no fluid will leak. You might read about some "wave springs" but they don't exist. Once removed cover the open area of the ABS pump with plastic wrap or such to keep dirt and water out. Keep a magnetic probe handy if you're a butter fingers like me. No need to pull the battery but you can if you find it easier.

Replacing the EBTCM fixed the ABS, traction control and speedo problems, but my cruise control is still not working. I never had and issue with it before. Any advice?

cra889 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera
    Quote Originally Posted by overplayed
    Replacing the EBTCM fixed the ABS, traction control and speedo problems, but my cruise control is still not working. I never had and issue with it before. Any advice?
    pic would help!!

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Just a picture? I can do better than that:

Courtesy of the Omega owners Forum
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...551#msg1155551

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.