Anyone install a 5-speed manual into a Catera?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Anyone install a 5-speed manual into a Catera? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Since the automatic in mine is bad, I was wondering if I can swap in a stick....
    atikovi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine

Anyone install a 5-speed manual into a Catera?

Since the automatic in mine is bad, I was wondering if I can swap in a stick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Anyone install a 5-speed manual into a Catera?

There is one I know of. It was done by Lingenfelter using Opel provided parts. They made Omegas with 5-speeds in Europe but I guess they thought Americans were too lazy to stir the stick and push the pedal. When GM trashed the Omega V8 project Lingenfelter bought the remaining parts to build V8/5-speed Cateras but that fizzled too and only one was built and sold. Lingenfelter then sold the parts as incomplete kits which were snapped up by Catera owners with dreams of building the ultimate American Beemer. As far as I know none has been completed though a few have come close. If you want a 5-speed Cat you'll have to round up the necessary parts from the kit owners or from ebay in Europe. The link will take you to my Catera V album. It's the Lingenfelter prototype.

http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/the_catera_v

I don't WANT a 5-speed Catera, but the automatic in mine is bad and ones in junkyards are probably bad or will go bad so I figure putting in a stick would solve the reliability issue and create a unique car at the same time. Wouldn't want a V8, just keep the stock 3.0.

I only pointed out the Catera V because it's the only one I know of with a manual transmission. I didn't mean you should go and build a V8 Catera. What exactly is wrong with your tranny? It might be rebuildable. Kits cost between $200-$300. My Catera itself had a slipping tranny and lost 4th gear. She now has a used tranny and shifts just fine. My cousin took my old one, rebuilt it, and slapped into his Catera. Our cars use the GM 4L30-E transmission which is also found in:

1991–1995 BMW 525i
    1992–1995 BMW 325i
    1992–1998 BMW 318i
    1994–2001 Honda Passport
    1996–1999 BMW 328i
    1996–1999 BMW 528i
    1996–2000 BMW Z3
    1996– Acura SLX
    1997–1999 BMW 323i
    1999– Isuzu Amigo
    2001– Isuzu VehiCROSS
    1991–1998 Isuzu Rodeo
    1990–2001 Isuzu Trooper

Not sure if their gearing is the same as in the Catera version so some research is needed but the BMW versions are probably a safe bet. As for a "stick" you're on your own. The 4L30E is electronically controlled so the computer will be useless. Don't know what codes would pop up. I guess a RWD GM tranny could be made to fit the chassis but will it mate with the L81 engine in the Catera? Who knows? You'd also need a clutch pedal and master-cylinder. Easiest way, though by no means easy, would be to acquire an Omega pedal box from Great Britain (Vauxhall) or Germany (Opel). If not you'll be cutting and welding. Good Luck.

I see and hear about these Cateras that have transmission problems with under 100,000 miles and some with just 60,000 miles so are you sure those BMW's use this transmission also? I doubt the trans from a BMW straight 6 would mate to the V6. Were the Omegas sold in Mexico or the Carribean which would be easier to acquire?

Those BMWs definitely used the 4L30E but you have a point regarding the bell-housing matching both engines. As for closer markets this was the worldwide distribution according to Wikipedia:

Germany as the Opel Omega B
    United Kingdom as Vauxhall Omega B.

NOTE
    The Australian Holdens are visually similar to their European cousins but are larger in all dimensions and feature different interior styling as well as different mechanical components, including petrol engine choices ranging from a 3.8 litre V6 or 5.0 litre V8 through to the introduction of a 5.7 litre V8 in 1999, a new 3.6 litre V6 in 2004 and a new 260 kW 6.0 litre V8 in the final year of VZ Commodore production. Starting in 1999 GM ceased production in Brazil in favor of importing Holden Commodores modified for the Brazilian market.

I think the closest place is GB including Ireland. I know there's an Omega club in Denmark and there are probably others scattered around Europe. Start with the Omega Owners Forum in GB.
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    Start with the Omega Owners Forum in GB.
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php
    I tried to register but it asks, What colour is the indicator on European cars? I put in red, green, yellow, white. Wouldn't accept any of them so it won't let me register. WTF?

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Not me, but I did have a first name basis relationship with a tow truck owner!

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    I tried to register but it asks, What colour is the indicator on European cars? I put in red, green, yellow, white. Wouldn't accept any of them so it won't let me register. WTF?
    Try amber.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I tried signing up, it's not amber, or white, or clear either .

And there is no email address to contact. Nice.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    AH HA! Keep clicking back and accepting the terms. The question will change.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    I see and hear about these Cateras that have transmission problems with under 100,000 miles and some with just 60,000 miles so are you sure those BMW's use this transmission also? I doubt the trans from a BMW straight 6 would mate to the V6. Were the Omegas sold in Mexico or the Carribean which would be easier to acquire?
    161000 on mine, so far no problem with tranny or engine. I changed tranny fluid 3 times already,not a flush, thats why have to do that many, and I switched to DEX 6

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    AH HA! Keep clicking back and accepting the terms. The question will change.
    That got it done after 10 tries. I can only imagine how long it takes for them to process it.

Well now I'm supposedly registered there but when I try, "activate your account by selecting the following link," it goes to an endless loop of resending the activation code.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.