Catera Thermostat Relocation ??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera Thermostat Relocation ?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Every couple years or so I have to change the thermostat in this Catera, and for anyone who has changed ...
    RetardedGenius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Catera Thermostat Relocation ??

Every couple years or so I have to change the thermostat in this Catera, and for anyone who has changed one on a Catera, you already know that it is pretty much the most horrible, godawful, nightmare of a job in all of automotive history.

The whole upper section of the engine is now apart, and the thermostat is now out.

Here's my idea:
    Instead of putting another thermostat in and putting it back together normally, I'm thinking of removing the thermostat from the thermostat housing completely, and otherwise putting it back together normally then cutting the upper radiator hose in an easily accessible spot and putting an in-line thermostat (& housing) in the top radiator hose.
    It won't be that difficult. I figure I could use this in-line thermostat kit from Jegs http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=2677715 or I could go cheap and just use any 2 straight water outlets and a universal thermostat.

Can anyone think of any possible reason why I perhaps shouldn't do this? It just seems waaaaaay too easy to be a good idea. There has to be some kind of drawback to it, although I can't seem to think of one.
    Please let me know if you can think of any.
    -RetardedGenius

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Why are you replacing the thermostat so often??

RetardedGenius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Re: Catera Thermostat Relocation ??

No idea. My theory is that there must be something in Dex-cool that corrodes them more rapidly than regular antifreeze. Although that's just a theory; I have no idea if there's actually any merit to that theory. I also get a leaky heater valve @ every 2-1/2 years, and have to replace the water pump every two years like clockwork. (lifetime warranty ) The only problems I ever have with this car are coolant system problems.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    There is NOTHING about DEX-COOL that causes any problems whatsoever.

You're either buying the worst thermostats and water pumps available, or you're using some nasty water.

AutoZone parts?

Are you using just tap water?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Catera Thermostat Relocation ??

Most of these GM thermostats seem pretty reliable - most cars in here, regardless of age, still have the factory installed unit.

The thermostat is acted upon by not only coolant in the "top hose" - it's really controlled by circulation in the heater and block/head bypass circuits. You stick it up in the "top hose" and it would never open - What coolant flow would warm up the wax pellet cylinder to begin the opening process ?

DEX-COOL doesn't corrode anything - take a look at the water jackets and radiator/heater cores of a properly maintained cooling system.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    I have 160000 miles on mine, I changed my thermostat about 5000 miles ago. It was just fine, only had a small leak on gasket that can be replaced, but I was replacing my oil cooler and I had to remove all top so I got great access to it and decided to replace termostat too, not only gasket even it was clean and worked just fine, but had over 150000 miles on oem termostat. I ordered oem AcDelco termostat from rockauto, it came with a gasket no bolts. Oem two bolts will not fit in new design of thermostat, yes AcDelco for some reason re-design thermostat. Its got more thicker. Original two bolts simply not long enough. U can get them from dealer ship, (cost to mush + no stock, special delivery), I got mine from local bolts and screws store, I simply brought original bolt to the store and the guy that work there gave me 2 rust proof bolts with same link but longer, I paid like $1 for them. They fited just right. VERY IMPORTANT that 1 of the bolts need to be sealed with hight temp silicone or thread locker, becouse 1 thread goes in block and coolant can leak from bolt. Any more questions just simply pm me

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.