Check Engine light not lighting up - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Check Engine light not lighting up in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; cad99 & PRSPower, The file has been sent..! cad99, sorry for the delay.. :O)...
    omermurat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Check Engine light not lighting up

cad99 & PRSPower,

The file has been sent..!
    cad99, sorry for the delay.. :O)

jeredenb is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Omermurat, can you please send me a copy of the PDF. I forgot my email in the last post...It is j.redenbaugh@verizon.net

Thanks,
    John

It's been sent.

Good luck

valle1018 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Omermurat and AllenPacla,

I am getting the code P0411 code as well.
    Can you please send me your procedures to fix this problem?

Thank you.

cesar.valle@asi.com

The file has been sent. Good luck

stonecoldsteele is offline Cadillac Owners Member

[B][I]Can someone send me the same file? My check engine light has came on and it is the same incorrect air flow....It was supposed to have been fixed before I got the car but I think they just cleared the code so it could pass inspection....In my state if the check engine light is on they will not inspect it so i need to find a fix for it...Thanks...stonecoldsteele@bellsouth.net

The file has been sent. Good luck.

Skip Robbins is offline Cadillac Owners Member

omermurat:

Would you please send me a copy of your pdf file RE: the secondary air injection pump / P0411 procedure. Thanks. Please email to:

omay@att.net

aa2ac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

catera healer..
    Would you send me the pdf file on the P 0411 repair?
    Tnx
    aa2ac@srscales.com

AllenPacla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I guess i have to make this post since I had the problem before and was able to figure it out with Omermurat's help. First thing to remember is that the Secondary Air injection system is initialized only during cold starts, so once the engine is warm enough it doesn't have to run. With the help of Omer's pdf file, one can easily identify the different parts that makes up the whole system. The only problem is that, in the pdf file, almost always, a scan tool is required to diagnose exactly which part is faulty. But i found a way to do it manually, but just like i said, it will require several cold starts which means you will be able to accomplish the complete diagnostics in probably 3 days of cold starting the car. The first thing you have to establish is if the air pump is okay. If you don't hear it operate during a cold start then it could be busted or probably just the relay. If you get direct power to the air pump and it runs, then it could be the relay that is not working. If you can establish that the pump runs every cold start, then you will have to move on to the other parts of the system. There are two valves in the system, one is the bell shaped aluminum valve located just before the pipes that leads to the exhaust and the other is made of plastic. If I'm not mistaken, the plastic one is called the vacuum cut-off valve. Anyway, the plastic valve opens and closes as the system is initialized. And it opens up with the use of vacuum pressure. If you look at it, there is a rubber pipe directly connected on top of it, that's the vacuum hose which connects to the control solenoid. When the system initializes, the control solenoid will let vacuum pressure through the hose and will cause the valve to open, letting air coming from the air pump through. Now, we get the dreaded engine light code because there is not enough air or there is no air that is passing through the system. Even though the air pump is running, if the valve is not going to open, air won't get through. So, to check which one among the two is faulty (Control Solenoid or the Valve), try directly connecting the vacuum hose coming from the engine into the plastic valve and try one of your cold starts and see if air will get through the valve. But of course, you will have to disconnect the big hose that connects to the other end of the valve, the one that leads to the exhaust. If after directly connecting a vacuum hose to the valve, you felt pressurized air is passing through then it should be working, try removing the vacuum hose and see if it closes back. After determining that valve is functioning properly, it is now safe to assume that the control solenoid is the faulty one. You can actually feel the solenoid clicking once the system is initialized during one of those cold starts. If the plastic valve is faulty, try replacing it first because it's cheaper and see if it will solve the problem. If replacing it will not solve the problem, then replace the solenoid. This is a long read i know, but i hope that it will give you guys an idea on how to diagnose the problem without using a scan tool. By the way, even if the aluminum check valve that i was talking about is not closing really tight, you don't have to worry about it because the plastic valve is enough to seal the system and prevent back flow of exhaust air into the air pump. Good luck

rpgibbs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 05 CTS-V

To Omermurat,

I have a 2000 Sport that I am getting an error code P0411 and have seen that you have a pdf file about how to diagnose the problem. I would appreciate your sending this file to me (email address below) or if anyone else has the pdf file I would appreciate it if you would forward it to me. Thanks.

rpgibbs@hotmail.com

AllenPacla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You will need a Code reader that is used by GM technicians if you want to use the pdf file that Omer has. And not so many have that Code reader (which also sends commands to the cars computer) I just can't remember what it's called exactly. Anyway, I was able to diagnose mine when i had the problem by plainly using patience and a little of understanding how the system works. I guess i posted how I did it in this thread. You just follow what it says. Good luck

R3dl3g is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have a check engine light on and the code is 0411. I thought it would be the idle air control valve or mass air flow sensor but now Im in doubt after reading this post. Sounds like a check valve from what I have read. If anyone has that pdf file that explains this problem a little more I would greatly appreciate it. Sgtdriggs@hotmail.com

moerome is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Catera

I'd like to get a copy of the PDF as well if you don't mind. Thanks a mil.

moerome@bellsouth.net

brohar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have the same code P0411 as well as some engine misfire codes. Car sounds funny. Can you give me any help? I dont work on cars usually but im about to start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.