1998 Catera keeps starting and stopping
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By elvin315
  • 1 Post By MoistCabbage
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 1998 Catera keeps starting and stopping in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 1998 catera suddenly turned off while i was driving....i pulled over and parked it. About 3 hours later i ...
    JOEY GOLA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

1998 Catera keeps starting and stopping

My 1998 catera suddenly turned off while i was driving....i pulled over and parked it. About 3 hours later i went back to it and it started right up on the first try. To be safe, i had my mechanic look at it and he said there was a rusty screw connecting the battery plugs which he replaced. Again, it started right up. I then got on the highway and after about 20 minutes the car shut off again (the difference this time was the change oil light came on first). But there is definitely oil in there because i checked a few days ago. At that point, it would not start after several tries. I thought that when my mechanic changed the screw to the battery that maybe the battery got loose so i jump-started it. It started right up. After letting it run for awhile, i shut it off and tried to start it again, and again it started right up! But i am nervous that this will happen again while i am driving so i am nervous. The battery itself is only about 6 months old so i don't think it's that. My friend told me it may have something to do with the fuel not getting through properly? Could it be oil? Something else entirely? On a side note, my check engine light is on but my mechanic checked the code and that is an 02 sensor which he said would have nothing to do with this issue. Please advise. Thank you. Joey.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: 1998 catera keeps starting and stopping. Please help!

Most probably the Crankshaft Position Sensor, a very common Catera problem. This sensor triggers the ignition and if the CPU loses that signal it won't fire the plugs. The following link will take you to a sticky outlining the replacement procedure. The new sensor will include a short section of aluminum heat shield. We suspect heat from the exhaust manifold cooks the wire's insulation causing the core to break. When hot the insulation expands and the circuit opens. When it cools off the insulation contracts and completes the circuit again allowing the engine to start.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tml#post622804

I suggest an additional step and that is to loosely wrap the wire with about 12 inches of aluminum foil, including the OEM heat shielding, thereby extending the protection to the wire. Try to route the replacement sensor's wire away from the exhaust too.
    JOEY GOLA likes this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yes, let's once again recommend replacing the CKP without diagnosing the problem first... He didn't even say weather or not it cranks, and a jump got it to start!

JOEY,

Were the codes pulled?

When the engine doesn't start, does it crank but not start, or does it not crank at all?

If no crank;

Does this happen more often when the engine is warm, or dies it do it just as much when cold?

Was the battery tested?

Was the starter bench tested?

The CKP is a possibility, but no sense throwing money at the car without diagnosing the problem first.
    JOEY GOLA likes this.

Re: 1998 catera keeps starting and stopping. Please help!

Hey guys thanks so much for the replies...when i say it doesn't start, yes I mean it cranks....all the dash lights go on as if it's going to start but then she just won't kick over...the only thing the code was showing was for the 02 sensor but he said that is not causing this. anyway, I brought this crankshaft sensor response to my next door neighbor the mechanic and he agreed that that's gotta be what it is...so I went and bought the part yesterday at pepboys but he couldn't put it in because the spot where it goes under the car by the motor has rusted bolts which he can't remove without a blowtorch which he does not have...the part cost me around $50 and he said it takes no more than 10 minutes to put it in but i guess i have to bring it to a mechanic with a blowtorch. i just have to make sure it's someone local within 15 minutes of my house because he said i will definitely stall again if i drive for more than that. does anyone know what this would cost to put in? and will this completely cure this issue now? honestly the car runs real good and i haven't had any issues with it but i am thinking about selling it once i put this part in. i live in new jersey and i want to get an SUV for the winter (an Escalade would be great). i paid $3000 for this catera, it's only got 80k miles on it and like i said, this is the only issue i have had with it thus far

What bolts are stuck? It's held into the block with one. Whatever's stuck, did he try any penetrating oil first?

Cadillac Catera98 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Catera

Re: 1998 Catera keeps starting and stopping

Your having the same problem as my friend, how long was the car sitting before you went and bought???? That was our first step was to change the crank position sensor, have you checked your fuel pump that may be it. We found out it's the fuel pump that's not making our catera run.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My Catera had the same problem few months ago, was at the traffic light and it shut down on me then pushed the car to side waited 45 minutes or so and it started right away then drove few minutes and it shut down again. Waited again for another 45 minutes and started right away and made it home, then replaced the CKP or CPS sensor however you want to say it and no problems since then.

My in laws catera did the same thing about 2 years ago and I swapped the CKP or CPS sensor and no issues since then.

Also, there was no CEL but for curiosity I scanned and it showed the CPS / CKS sensor code on my car.

CKP is the correct acronym.

The CEL only illuminates for current P codes. It isn't unusual for a sensor that fails intermittently, to only trigger a code very briefly, and basically always be in history, so the light isn't triggered.

update - one week later
    Hey everyone just wanted to let you all know my Catera is fixed and running wonderfully. My neighbor was looking in the wrong spot, he was under the car thinking the CKP goes behind the motor somewhere and that's when he advised me to take it to a garage so they can get to it... on a whim, i put an ad on craigslist for a mechanic that makes housecalls... i found a guy one town over from me who came to my driveway and found the part in about 5 minutes, which is under the hood somewhere right on top, very easy to get to. he swapped it out and it and only charged me $50. so the whole job cost me $100 total and for the past 7 days i have had no issues. i am certain that if i just went to a garage from the get-go i would be looking at $300 or $400 in costs. for the record, he did tell me if this did not work the next step would definitely be fuel pump. i gotta say this guys, the internet is an absolute life saver and i urge anyone who is having car issues to write on message boards or google the issue BEFORE going to traditional mechanics. get your own parts online or at parts stores and then just find a mechanic to come to you. i got so many responses when i put the ad on craigslist. now on a side note, the check engine light is still there but that's 100 percent the 02 sensor which i am really in no hurry to replace because my guy said that really has no effect on anything except the RPM gage acts a little silly. my only other issue is the coolant light comes on once a week (there's a slow leak and i have to fill it about once a week.) i picked up a bottle of the stop leak stuff which i'm gonna actually pour into the tank this morning... we'll see what happens with that. again, thanks so much everyone for all the help, you guys saved me a fortune

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Look closely for a hairline crack at the plastic neck for the upper radiator hose. That's where mine was leaking. Replaced the radiator rather than chance an epoxy fix. Not that expensive and driveway easy. Don't forget that your car is 15 years old. Overdue for hose replacements. Check the jubilee clips (wormdrive clamps) for tightness too.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

Its great that this forum is here.. the Problems with the catera are all the same!! a little research and problem solved!

Its so important to find somone who is familiar with the cater to work on it.. most of the work is Super simple if the mech has the knowledge!....

Look up the book time on repairs... most garages will charge double!! be careful.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.