Need a little help from my friends.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Need a little help from my friends. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello guys, this is my first post to the forums. I own a 01' Cadillac Catera. Recently I had the ...
    CodyCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01' Cadillac Catera

Need a little help from my friends.

Hello guys, this is my first post to the forums.

I own a 01' Cadillac Catera.

Recently I had the ECM replaced and reprogrammed. Then had the fuel pump/fuel filter replaced.

Before I dive into details. The car sat for 8 months before we started working on it. I didnt leak any coolant/oil.

After getting the car back from a family mechanic I started to notice that the car leaked oil. My brother and I did an oil change putting in 6qts of brand new oil. After doing that it still continued to leak. We pin pointed the leak to (what I believe is the bell housing) two bolts that face down behind the engine. once the car gets hot it starts to drip slowly. Today after I came home from school I popped the hood and there was some smoke (Happens after I drive mostly everytime. I look next to the pipe that you add oil too (oil downstem?) and noticed oil sitting on the lip on the valve cover. Before the car sat we replaced the spark plugs, and notice that the plugs had oil on them.

I'd like to get some information, any kind will help. What to do first? How to? What can I do to find the exact problem?

Thanks,
    Cody

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Need a little help from my friends.

Welcome to the funny farm that is the Catera/Cimarron Forum. To get to your problems I suspect the oil leak was due to 8 month lay-up. The engine's rear main seal might have shrunk from lack of circulating oil. I'd try some of the treatments like Marvel Mystery Oil or one of the Lucas products. Look for the ones advertised to rejuvenate/swell engine seals. If that doesn't work new seals may be in your future.

The smoke is easier to diagnose. The camcovers are leaking. Oil drips on the exhaust manifold heatshields and smolders. While the car is moving the air flow carries it away but when it stands still the smoke collects under the hood. Many blame it on the plastic camcovers warping but I disagree. Your crankcase breather is clogged with sludge. As the pistons reciprocate they pump air and the crankcase pressure builds. Normally this pressure is relieved through the breather but when it's clogged it builds and seeks the next best exit. The covers, being plastic, lift and spray oil past their gaskets. Clean the breather and your problem may be solved. If not then new gaskets will be necessary. Either way the breather must be cleaned. It's a maintenance point but often overlooked.

Could you tell me where the breather is?

Refer to this earlier post. It contains links to 2 instructional articles from 2 Omega forums in England. Each has instructions. The second link contains pictures. Both are courtesy of their respective owners clubs.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3287738

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Don't waste your money on the snake oil. Save up and replace the seals.

Whats the general process in replacing the rear main seal? I've only got a few people that would help me on my Catera and I dont have a car lift to get underneath it. Im using ramps and jack stands at the moment.

I also have a leaking rear seal but haven't had the time to get it fixed. I found instructions with pictures on the Omega Owners Forum (by J. Seaman). The Adobe document outlines an engine rebuild but includes the rear seal replacement. He removed the engine to perform the work. If you had access to a car lift you might be able to do it by dropping the transmission but using ramps I don't think it's possible. I'm by no means an expert so I could be wrong. Maybe you could rent an engine hoist plus a stand and the work that way. My cousin Kevin has his own repair shop and will be doing my car when the time comes. I don't know where you're located but if it's anywhere near the Bronx I'm sure he'd fix you right up. Good luck bud.

http://images.omegaowners.com/images...ineRebuild.pdf

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.