huge cloud of white tranny smoke :)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, huge cloud of white tranny smoke :) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, it has reached a whole new level of interesting. I drove it to work, it drove fine. On the ...
    bobbyc67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 catera

huge cloud of white tranny smoke :)

Well, it has reached a whole new level of interesting. I drove it to work, it drove fine. On the way back home it started acting like it did when I had fluid in the shift position sensor/neutral safety switch. Like it was starting out in 3rd gear or so. I manually shifted it and it seemed okay to drive home. I was wrong, it was not okay. Made it 9 miles before smelling tranny fluid and seeing the biggest cloud of white smoke I have ever seen behind me. Rolled to the side and shut it down. I had fluid pouring from the bell housing like niagara falls. The car still moved on it's own. I had it towed home. Once home I drove it right up on ramps and haven't been under it yet.The pump is probably okay since it still moves and I believe the tranny is okay as far as clutches go. I think this began as an electrical problem. One trouble code said the TCM was not communicating with the computer. Maybe a problem in the valve assembly ? I can tell you when it is in a gear it is solid. No slippage at all. Is it possible my TCM is bad and was trying to engage multiple gears at once and the pressure blew my front seal ?
    I am a mechanic but tranny internals are not my forte so I am relying on others knowledge on this one. I am considering buying a very low mileage used tranny and putting it in but mine may not have a real serious problem to warrant replacement. Has anybody seen or experienced this issue ? Any input would be appreciated. Especially since I am now driving my gas guzzling Yukon, lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: huge cloud of white tranny smoke :)

Read the posts here. My advice, don't spend good money chase after a bad car. Once fixed something else will go wrong. Part out the car.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    Read the posts here. My advice, don't spend good money chase after a bad car. Once fixed something else will go wrong. Part out the car.
    No surprise here. The same old song.

Though I haven't had the same exact problem my transmission slipped badly and acted like it had no 4th gear along with harsh low speed shifts so my cousin Kevin, a 2000 Catera Sport owner and mechanic swapped it out with a lower mileage unit with a 6 month warranty ($500). His Cat was shifting hard so he rebuilt my old transmission, replaced the 2-3 shift solenoid, and swapped into his Cat. His old transmission will be rebuilt and serve as a spare for our cars. The links lead to 4L30-E info that might point you in the right direction. Don't know if this has been any help but it's all I can give.

http://etereman.com/blog/general-mot...w-to-fix-them/
    http://scottj.info/files/isuzu/4l30e.pdf
    http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...FS4aOgodhl0AGg

As for Kaustein's advice, If you like your Catera and can afford the parts why not repair it. You have the tools and skills to do the job. If not then cut your loses and part her out. If you decide on the latter, I need the rear suspension tie-rods that adjust the rear toe. Hate to sound desperate but no one seems to have them for sale, new or used, anywhere. Either way, good luck with the car.

Elvin

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera
    Elvin i have a parts car. What does this part look like? rear tie rod. i even have an illustration of the complete rear suspension set up and can't see what ur looking for, Im obviously over looking it. Any pics or anything?

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 98Catera_2010 View Post
    Elvin i have a parts car. What does this part look like? rear tie rod. i even have an illustration of the complete rear suspension set up and can't see what ur looking for, Im obviously over looking it. Any pics or anything?
    I didn't want to hijack this thread so I sent you a PM with a diagram.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.