Torx and My Alternator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Torx and My Alternator in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello Everyone: I had the unfortunate luck to have my voltage regulator or alternator go on me in rush hour ...
    libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

Torx and My Alternator

Hello Everyone: I had the unfortunate luck to have my voltage regulator or alternator go on me in rush hour traffic on Friday. I called my parts Guru (Lordo Auto Parts), and he had both in stock (amazing). I opted to go for the regulator thinking that it would be an easy fix. Boy am I stupid. Reading the shop manual many times to make sure I got it right was a smart move though.
    Here's where things go off the rails. I pulled everything out of the front of the engine as per the manual, and there she was (alternator), and now it's just a matter of taking out the 2 Torx bolts and I'm home free!! Right!!! There was a Torx bolt on the bottom of the unit and a normal bolt on the other (?) Lo and behold the normal nut just turned without coming out. I managed to find a hole where I could see the Torx head behind the alternator. How the hell did they get that in there without pulling the engine? Is that what I'm going to have to do to get the alternator out? Please say something nice, cause I could use it right now. Cheers, Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: Torx and My Alternator

A picture or pictures would help me think about it.

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera
    Pulling the engine is definitely not necessary to take out the alternator. I haven't done it but my father inlaw just did it, twice because he had to remove one from our parts car to replace one on his running Cat. He's out of town right now or i would ask how he got it out.

klm
    klm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Re: Torx and My Alternator

Just did valves on my 2000 due to a broken timing belt, not related to your issue, but I had to remove that same bolt you speak of.
    To answer your question about how they manufacture, they assemble the engine outside the car, and lift it up into the car on the cradle from the bottom. That's how.
    As to the bolt, believe it or not, you "can" get at it from the under the car. You can use a closed 12 point wrench, 8mm if my memory serves me, which will hold the torx. You go at it from under the car with your left hand while you use your other hand on a ratchet in the front.
    It is "very" tight and you have to guide the wrench with 2 fingers, but it can be done. I did it.
    Good luck.

libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

Thumbs up Re: Torx and My Alternator

As a follow up to my situation I am glad to report that I did manage to get that $&^( bolt out, but it was a real test of dexterity. As it turned out it was the regulator that was shot. One of the brushes was totally worn out and was making intermitent contact. Thanks everyone for your assistance, it;s always appreciated. Cheers, Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.