my catera has a lound rattling sound. plus its underpowered!! help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, my catera has a lound rattling sound. plus its underpowered!! help! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My catera sounds horrible. Hit a bump now it sounds like a diesel and its horribly underpowered. It says random ...
    boogie3309 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 catera

Unhappy my catera has a lound rattling sound. plus its underpowered!! help!

My catera sounds horrible. Hit a bump now it sounds like a diesel and its horribly underpowered. It says random or multiple misfire. Car still fires right up! Please help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: my catera has a lound rattling sound. plus its underpowered!! help!

I wonder if a portion of the exhaust system came loose. Worth a check.

reaper56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    My had the same problem, i think it was the drive line and the sound it was the rear gears was grinding. And yes it wroth getting check because my car was nearly moving down the road before I got it fix.

ReidHj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera

Sounds similar to symptoms my Catera experienced recently and it was the catalytic converter starting to come apart. Internals were breaking off and then getting lodged in the muffler, causing the system to clog and leading to back pressure. I'm still looking for a replacement catalytic converter.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

I kinda had the same issue... I repalced both cat converters with aftermarket. the cost to me was $240. mine where missing the guts of the cats, so it sounded like a tin can when accelorating... after I had them replaced the car had much more power.

You need to go to a shop that will use aftermarkets.. saved $750 for me!!!! I may still have the tab home from the convertors I used... I can check.. I belived they are both a Mid bed o2 sensor, and 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" pipe... its been a while for me.... so Im not sure if I still have the think at home... but a generic convertor can be used, it just has to have the MID o2 sensor port.

Have the car put in the air and rap on the convertors, you should hear stuff moving around.. or with me they had me sit in the car on the lift and rev it to listen to it.

----------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MagnaFlow-94...6ba890&vxp=mtr

here is ebay link to what you need... mine was 00 catera im unsure of your yr, so verify you have o2 sensors.

he used 2.5" on mine, but I remember he had to size it down, so 2.25 " should be perfect for you.. mine where easterns that he used, about the same price as these.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.