Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Help for a friend and his 1999 Catera

13K views 101 replies 8 participants last post by  Cadillac Catera98 
#1 ·
Hi all, my friend needs help with her Catera. She say's her that Oxgen Sensor has a problem or is broken and that she can sart the car and drive about 3 miles and the car will die!!!!! I'm thinking a dead battery or so but I could be wrong, may you guys help me so I can help her..

#6 ·
It's most likely the crankshaft position sensor and cost about $45 to $50. I had a similar problem about 6 months ago and replaced it and so far no problems. The sensor is located right by the oil filter and the other end goes all the way to the top behind the upper intake (driver's side).

#11 ·
Yes, it's pretty easy fix and I would say about an hour all together. You may have to cut the old wire where it gets pinched by the oil cooler lines and send the new one around it. Also, add extra aluminium foil (extra heat shield) around the new wire where it gets close to the exhaust pipe.

#17 ·
Well here are the parts she need's to buy.... and please let me know if they are the wrong parts

1. 2 O2 sensors they are
Bosch - Oxygen Sensor
Part # 16065

2.CranKshaft Position sensor
BWD - Crankshaft Position/Angle Sensor
Part # CSS79

3.Speed Sensor.... now we are lost with this one is there a difference between an ABS Speed Sensor and a Speed Control Sensor????

and each part was found at O'Reilly Auto Parts on O'Reillyautoparts.com

#18 ·
There is a speed sensor for each wheel (wheel speed sensors), and a vehicle speed sensor (for PCM and speedometer). No such thing as a "speed control sensor".

How do you know the O2 sensors need to be replaced? How do you know there's a speed sensor problem?

Were the codes pulled???

Which codes came up?

#19 ·
I didn't pull any codes her dad did and he stated that the O2 sensors need to be replaced, which I think they might need to be cleaned. I know from the jump that she need with the Crankshaft Position/Angle Sensor because from what I seen it will drive about 3 miles and shut right off..

#40 ·
Yes we replaced the CSP & just placed a new battery in the car, but with the CSP on and the battery in the catera it's starting to miss fire. We have no clue why it's miss fire??? any help please

----------

Pictures of what has to be removed are in the thread.

we replaced the CSP & just placed a new battery in the car MC, but with the CSP on and the battery in the catera it's starting to miss fire. We have no clue why it's miss fire??? Now we can't even get the car to a code reader.

#41 ·
probably he misplaced something or maybe some wire is not connected.

Another possibility might be bad coils or have to relearn throttle body in case he removed it or maybe a vacuum leak somewhere.

----------

also, try unplugging the Mass airflow sensor and see what it does. It could be a MAS sensor too.

#42 ·
This is what is planed for Saturday... We are gong to replace the coil packs and the spark plugs, do you or anyone else has an idea of brand of spark plugs and coils we should go and get??? I have in mind of getting (Autolite Single Platinum Spark Plugs and BWD Ignition Coil & BWD Ignition Control Module) We are going to pick up the parts Friday....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.