Help for a friend and his 1999 Catera - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Help for a friend and his 1999 Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You right as long as the job is done right.. The two guys I have talked have done jobs for ...
    Cadillac Catera98 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Catera
    You right as long as the job is done right.. The two guys I have talked have done jobs for friends and etc..

Re: Help for a friend and his 1999 Catera

So here is an update you guys!!!!

The new fuel pump and filter is on the car. We pulled up two codes (P1141: Heated Oxygen Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 2) Heater Circuit Malfunction & P0727: Engine Speed Signal Circuit Malfunction) But that is not the reason why the car is not starting, from what the guy told us the timing is off and he is sending someone out to rest the timing for us. more to come after we rest the timing.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The timing is off??? There is no distributor, timing is controlled by the PCM, and not adjustable. Did the "mobile mechanic" tell you this?

P0727 - Engine speed sensor? Anyone know if that refers to the CKP or CMP?

In many cars, the tach and ignition control rely on the CMP sensor. If the PCM has no reference of engine speed/position, it cannot provide spark. This can cause hard/no starting, and stalling.

..........As asked before... Is there spark?

Also, with no reference of engine speed, the fuel pump will only run briefly at key on, but not while cranking. You never answered my question about fuel pressure, so I'll assume nobody bothered checking it, but did anyone even check if the old pump ran at all before replacing it? Does the new one run?? At key on? While cranking?

I asked for codes over and over again. I hope for your sake that I'm wrong about what "engine speed sensor" is referring to, because if I'm right, that may have been the problem all along, and the codes would have told us in the beginning.

I just gave you the only two codes that came up MC, I have no clue if there is spark I will have the guy check when they send someone back out..

I know you have them in the last post. I've been asking since post #5.

There're other questions in the above post as well that you need to ask this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    I know you have them in the last post. I've been asking since post #5. There're other questions in the above post as well that you need to ask this guy.
    I seen both of your question's & when they seen someone back out I will be asking an having him check everything... If they don't I'm just take it to a shop & see what's up.

[QUOTE=MoistCabbage;11031041]The timing is off??? There is no distributor, timing is controlled by the PCM, and not adjustable. Did the "mobile mechanic" tell you this?

P0727 - Engine speed sensor? Anyone know if that refers to the CKP or CMP?

In many cars, the tach and ignition control rely on the CMP sensor. If the PCM has no reference of engine speed/position, it cannot provide spark. This can cause hard/no starting, and stalling.

..........As asked before... Is there spark?

So MC are you saying it could be a speed sensor???? or you are just stating?

There are several "speed sensors". It's not the vehicle or wheel speed sensors. The code has to be for either the CKP or CMP. There is no other "engine speed sensor" that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    There are several "speed sensors". It's not the vehicle or wheel speed sensors. The code has to be for either the CKP or CMP. There is no other "engine speed sensor" that I'm aware of.
    Well it should be the CMP because we just replaced the CKP but then again it can be both, like you said once durlast parts are crap, & that is what we replaced the old CKP with....

Ok, I found some information on the code on a Saturn forum (similar drivetrain to the Catera).

The code is triggered when the TCM does not receive an engine speed signal from the ECM. That means either a communications issue between the ECM and TCM, or a problem with the CKP sensor, its wiring, or even a faulty ECM.

So... If it were a communications problem between the two modules, the engine would start and drive, but not shift right. A CKP/CKPs
    wiring/ECM issue would cause no spark, and no fuel pump operation while cranking.

Check a couple of simple things, you don't need the mechanic:

- Remove the gas cap, and put your ear to the hole. Have a helper turn the key to ON. Do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds?

- Now have your helper try to start the car. Do you hear the pump running?

-Go to the parts store, and get a spark tester (~$5). Unplug a plug wire from a plug, plug on the tester, clamp it to something metal, have a helper try to start the car. Is there spark?

If there's no spark, and/or the fuel pump doesn't run, replace the DuraCRAP CKP with an AC/Delco one.

Here is an update on my issue..

From unpluging the computer a lot can mess things up and not giving the car enough communications to do anything...'

MC you are right there was an communications issue with the ECM & not it has to be replace our guy said he's going to look to see what he can find and go from there..

Unplugging the ECU multiple times won't hurt anything. ...More "info" from the portable "mechanic"?

That doesn't mean it's not defective, but before you replace it, check and clean the pins on the connector and the ECU, and check the appropriate wires for continuity.

He did all that, he unplug everything first then cleaned everything... I sat and watch him do everything, he used his truck to try and rest everything took 15mins and that still didn't do anything. Went back and checked everything so the EMC is an issue for now....

Use his truck to reset something? What?

Anyway. I believe the replacement ECU will have to be programmed to the VIN with a TECH II. Unless you buy one that has been cleared of the previous VIN.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Use his truck to reset something? What?

Anyway. I believe the replacement ECU will have to be programmed to the VIN with a TECH II. Unless you buy one that has been cleared of the previous VIN.
    Before he left, he took down the vin as well as the information on the driver-side door with him to look for a ECU. So hopping he finds something if not we might have to buy a new ECU.

What do you think of Cardone Auto parts, I'm asking because that is the part at Advance auto parts and where the company credit line is with...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.