Transmission slips on hot days
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Transmission slips on hot days in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I notice that on hot days, my transmission slips when shifting from 3rd - 4th gear. It runs fine in ...
    GFox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Transmission slips on hot days

I notice that on hot days, my transmission slips when shifting from 3rd - 4th gear. It runs fine in the morning and on cool days when the road surface is not hot, as least that what I am thinking. There are no lights or other indication on the dash. I'm thinking that it could be one of the shift sensors or even the speed sensor, but I could be completely wrong. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: Transmission slips on hot days

How is the temperature in you engine as measured by the dash meter when it gets hot out? If the radiator is not working efficiently, the transmission fluid could be overheating as well.

It's possible you are low on trans fluid or that the trans fluid needs to be replaced, particularly if the trans has run hot for an extended period of time.

Also, connect a code reader and see if there are any codes which could be a clue.

Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that on those hot days when the tranny slips, if I manually shift it, it works fine, as long as I don't engage it in "D". I will take it over to AutoZone and get a read and post the results here.

Thanks again.

Well, there are no transmission related codes that came up when they scanned it at AutoZone, just a few cylinders misfiring. I'll just change the fluid and filter and see what happens.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.