Auxiliary pump replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Auxiliary pump replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have Cadillac Catera 2001 with overheating problem. I am suspecting the driver's side auxiliary water pump because it looks ...
    samranij is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera 2001

Auxiliary pump replacement

I have Cadillac Catera 2001 with overheating problem. I am suspecting the driver's side auxiliary water pump because it looks to me leaking. I went to the Junk yard and I got one. Now, I would like to install it but I am not sure how I can do that.

Please, can anyone post the auxiliary water pump's removal and installation with pictures if possible.

Thank you very much

Cadillac owner

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    It's very easy. Just disable electric wire, move it out the way so coolant will not get on it. Spray pump with WD40 or silicon oil. Remove clamps with pliers, remove hoses. Now u can twist pump few times and it will come out from rubber case. U can use flat screw driver to help pump come out from rubber case, just be careful. Then just install new pump same way like u was removing it. And I would recommend to replase clamps as well. In my case I had a blown fuse 15apm under steering wheel fuse box. On manual its not showing description of that fuse, check fuse first.

Re: Auxiliary pump replacement

Do I need to remove the battery and drain the cooling system first?

Thanks again
    samranij

No u don't have to. Just run your car until normal temp with heat on.

I have few question:1 is it ok to do this remove/install with engine running( I am afraid of the cooling's spill)?
    2 the bottom hose is kind of hard to get to it, do you have any trick for that?
    3 what size of clamps do you recommend?

so, if I understand well, these are the steps:
    1- run the car until normal temp with heat on
    2- remove the electric wire from the pump with the car still running
    3- spray pump with wd40
    4- remove clamps with pliers
    5- remove the top and bottom hoses from the pump
    6- twist pump few times
    7- install the new pump
    8- replace clamps

Thank you very much for your help
    samranij

Nooooooo All wrong!!!!!! Do not start or run your car while u doing this!!!!
    1.remove electric wire from pump
    2. remove hoses from pump, if u can remove lower hose move to step 3 and remove hose later.
    3. spray pump with wd40 or any oil base spray liquid, it will help to slide of rubber holder. U can use flat screw driver to help pump slide off rubber case.
    4. Now install pump same way, and replace clamps. U can find clamps at any auto part stores, home improvement stores like Lowe's. Just get clamp that can fit around hose. I don't know size, u need to find that out.
    5. Start your car and run until it reach normal temp. with heat on. It will help to get air out from cooling system and air will travel around heater hoses back to coolant tank.

Thank you very much for your reply and your patience
    But still I have one more dump question
    When I went to the junk yard and got the aux water pump, antifreeze came out from the two hoses that I removed from the pump and then I lost most of the antifreeze. is there a solution to avoid that spill? is there a plug that I can use?
    Thanks again
    Samranij

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.