Cadillac Owners Forum banner

why does my catera sometimes doesnt want to start

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  jjportia 
#1 ·
I drive the car around town and I park it when I try to drive it again it doesn't want to start the radio turns on I checked the battery its new I dont know whats wrong . I try later againg to start it and it starts ???

#17 ·
My 2000 would run and then intermittently not restart, let it cool down and it would restart.

The Battery was less than 10 months old. The positive terminal was getting hot enough to melt the nylon bag around the battery.

Although the primary connection to the battery was tight there are two other bolts that connect wires to the terminal that were loose. Tightening that connection eliminated the excessive heat (resistance) and haven't had a starting issue since.

#19 · (Edited)
No, CKP is the correct acronym for Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Manufacturers do not use the same acronyms for multiple systems/components. They each have their own.

If CPS was the acronym for Crankshaft Position Sensor, and Central Power Supply, wouldn't it also be the acronym for Camshaft Position Sensor? (Nope. Camshaft Position Sensor - CMP sensor)

From a Helm Cadillac Service Manual (1999 Seville):

#21 · (Edited)
I never said anything about confusing it for something else, I was just pointing out the correct acronym (see my first post in this thread... Informative nitpicking).

...The Catera doesn't have a PCM, but you wouldn't use the acronym for something else.

There have been a good number of members here, since I joined the forum, looking for diagrams of the CKPs, and wondering why they can't find any on Google. It's because the dealer websites and parts websites that have diagrams list the correct acronym, and they're searching CPS. There is an advantage to correct terminology.

#22 ·
I know this post is about a year old but there may be someone else with this problem. The answer to this problem is the range sensor/ neutral safety switch. In about a half hour to 45 minutes the switch cools enough to tell the starter interlock that the car is in park and will crank again. Take the switch off and clean the contacts or replace the switch and no more problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.