How well do Catera's do in the snow?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By rally650
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, How well do Catera's do in the snow? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I live in Maryland and I am considering a 2000 Catera Sport with 65k miles. I am wondering how well ...
    Vaccam is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question How well do Catera's do in the snow?

I live in Maryland and I am considering a 2000 Catera Sport with 65k miles. I am wondering how well the go in the snow being RWD but with traction control?

TIA

Michael

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

shaggygrosser is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I could have sworn that Cateras were FWD, but I could be wrong.

Vaccam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    According to Edmunds it is rear wheel drive. If anyone knows for sure please let me know.

toomanytoyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS

Re: How well do Catera's do in the snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaccam
    According to Edmunds it is rear wheel drive. If anyone knows for sure please let me know.
    They are RWD. They should do just fine in the snow with a set of snow tires. You can get a complete set of rims/tires/hubcaps for the winter from www.tirerack.com for less than 500 bucks all mounted and ready to go. Really can't beat it.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoyz
    They are RWD. They should do just fine in the snow with a set of snow tires. You can get a complete set of rims/tires/hubcaps for the winter from www.tirerack.com for less than 500 bucks all mounted and ready to go. Really can't beat it.
    An important thing with rear-drive cars in the snow is balance. How close is it to 50/50?

blackcat2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The catera does fine. I've driven mine many times in snow, actually the traction control system is very impressive when its sense slippage. If its bad I driven in 2 (as in 1,2,3,d) for more torque and the TCS does help as well. Its better than many other cars I have had though.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Jesda...... What are the Qs?? Do you know??

I always recommend with RWD cars to have snow tires...... I have studded ones!!!

Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX
    Along with my new Eldo, I have a 97 Catera in my house that we bought about three years ago. I live in Upstate NY so we can often see snowfall over six inches in a matter of hours. Unfortunately, though we do have all season tires on it, it suffers a great deal in the snow. It is nearly impossible to get up a steep incline with even a light dusting of snow. Going up gradual hills isn't too bad as long as you get a good start and don't stop. The traction control doesn't do anything in the snow, nor does the little snowflake button. There are very few days during the winter where the car in undrivable, in MD you shoulnd't have any problems at all.

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I live in PA and we get a substatal amount of snow from time to time. I have had no problems dealing with the snow in ANY of my cars. Grand marquis, 442, chevelle, blazer, girlfriends eclispe, mom's venture, etc...
    for me it really doesn't matter what you are driving in the snow. As long as you are aware of the dangers and loss of traction you will be fine. The hardest part is worring about others not yourself

rally650 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I live in Ontario, Canada. I bought a 98 Catera in 2001. The first real snow fall, made me realize that I need snow tires and weight in the trunk.

I recommend that you purchase a quality set of snows for the rears as well as add a couple of hundred pounds of weight into the trunk. The car will feel like a tank once you've done that.

If you have a lot of snow/ice start to build up in the wheel wells, you'll have to somehow melt/remove that stuff or the car will start to shake and simming quite noticeably. Also carry a couple of jugs of windshield washer fluid, as the holding tank seems small, and if your winters are anything like ours, you'll be constantly cleaning the windshield.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

I agree....... Get a bunch of fluid, keep one in the garage and one in the trunk......

Also, be sure to rinse the car off whenever you can...... You dont need to *wash* it, but rinse it off enough to get most of the salt off, mainly on the underbody...... Or take it to a car wash, and make sure it says they spray the underbody....... This is very important to preventing rust underneath......!

ericesquire is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It is a rear wheel drive car - but it has an excellent traction control system and does very well in the winter!

jesterphatt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Winter handling?

I live in Minneapolis and strongly recommend winter tires...

I went to tirerack and got a complete second set and what a difference they made... I feel the car is weighty enough, but not a bad suggestion to get more in the trunk.

I first had rear wheel drives as a young buck (muscle cars) and they sucked in the snow, then going to college and there after I drove front wheel cars and swore to never drive another rear wheel...lo and behold i end up with a Catera... the winter tires make all the difference in the world!

chill04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I live in Wisconsin and mine handles well in the snow and we get dumped on here. Out

lju_fc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The car does good in the snow, even if you have all season tires, just as long as they are relativly new and have plenty of grip. All you have to do is at low speeds use the "snow" option ( the little snow flake button beside the shifter) allows the car to get enought grip to drive out of the snow and doesnt let the tires spin at all. You can floor the gas but wont go over 4000rpm. Stays on until you it 50km/h

good option!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.