Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Ever think the car is possessed??? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm starting to wonder! Here's the situation:
1. Car ran fine Saturday. A relative was driving it home from dinner ...
1. Car ran fine Saturday. A relative was driving it home from dinner Sat PM and when he started it up he noted that it ran kinda sluggish. Fortunately the trip from the restaurant to his apartment is fairly short. As he pulled into the driveway it died (while in the street).
2. After a few unsuccessful restart attempts he got it started long enough to park.
3. Wondering what was going on, he did a few diagnostic starts and each time the following was present:
a. CEL flashes (I later pulled several misfire codes on various cylinders including the "random")
b. Tachometer at 0
c. Speedometer at 0 but the needle fluctuated rapidly (like hummingbird wings) between -1 and 3 MPH
d. Speedometer phenomenon was present for several seconds after the engine was off but the car still on, several more with the car off but the key in, and yet several more with the key out.
e. All other dials appear normal.
f. Very low idle, sluggish, etc.
I checked it out myself yesterday and observed the same. I was able to keep the car running, but I don't think I would try to drive it far - the engine rattling while not loud rattles the cabin like a bad roller coaster.
4. The CPS was replaced (due to the infamous wire short thanks to the exhaust manifold) less than two years ago.
Any thoughts? Seems electrical, given that the Tach/Speed stay at 0 (with the crazy Gozer possessed Speedometer).
investor74, the voltage is a bit low but nothing out of the ordinary - in other words - within range when the car ran well.
I replaced the coil packs and boots, since elvin315 had a similar issue but it didn't help much. The IP seems to operate and then not at any given turn of the key. I managed to get it running enough to drive it, but it was pretty rough. Though it seemed to smooth out and run ok at higher speeds and in Sport mode. Still spat out misfire codes.
I'll see if we can test the alternator/battery for any issues, thanks for that tip. Any other thoughts?