98 Catera timing belt, camshafts and crankshaft seal replacement....completed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By retho78
  • 2 Post By kaustein
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 98 Catera timing belt, camshafts and crankshaft seal replacement....completed in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay folks, I finally finished working on the car and posting some pictures here. The car is running good and ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

98 Catera timing belt, camshafts and crankshaft seal replacement....completed

Okay folks,

I finally finished working on the car and posting some pictures here. The car is running good and no issues.

Gates TCK285P timing kit used here. It might different for 2000 and 2001 Cateras

The old water pump was leaking

I just used a pvc pipe adapter to install the seals back to camshafts and crankshaft. It was the same diameter and worked perfectly.

This is the cordless impact tool I used to remove the crankshaft bolt. It came out with no problems!

The old crankshaft seal was stuck in there really good so had to try really hard to get it out so you can see markings / scratches behind it.

Painted the harmonic balancer and the two pulleys.

7772 and 7772 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 98 Catera timing belt, camshafts and crankshaft seal replacement....completed

Just a quick update - drove the car today and no leaks or issues. It's driving nice and smooth.

Grandmaster B is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Catera

Re: 98 Catera timing belt, camshafts and crankshaft seal replacement....completed

Cool. Did you leave the old seals on the lower plastic engine cover for good luck?

:-).

The old seals were laying on top of the oil drain container I had under the oil pan while changing the oil and also to catch the brake cleaners I sprayed to clean the gunk behind the timing cover.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Holy Crap! I'm impressed!
    retho78 and retho78 like this.

Thanks kaustein. I'm impressed too since this is the first time I did this and was little scared to start the car after putting everything back and it started right up and driving nice and smooth.

sirmqc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Retho787 - how did you hold the crank from turning while you hit it with the impact? The manual references bolting a special tool onto the crankshaft (using the balancer bolt holtes) that you use to hold the crank while breaking the bolt loose.

I'm trying to break mine loose, but its giving me some trouble. I'm using a 2 ft breaker bar... thinking I might have more luck with an impact.

Any thoughts or tips?

Sorry for the late reply.....were you able to loosen the bolt? The breaker bar won't work, unless you have something good to hold the crank from turning. I had the same problem and tried all kinds of tools and then ended up using the high impact cordless wrench and also used the crank / waterpump locking tool to hold it from turning much, basically just a

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.