Cadillac Owners Forum banner

98 Catera timing belt, camshafts and crankshaft seal replacement....completed

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  retho78 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay folks,

I finally finished working on the car and posting some pictures here. The car is running good and no issues.

Gates TCK285P timing kit used here. It might different for 2000 and 2001 Cateras

The old water pump was leaking

I just used a pvc pipe adapter to install the seals back to camshafts and crankshaft. It was the same diameter and worked perfectly.

This is the cordless impact tool I used to remove the crankshaft bolt. It came out with no problems!

The old crankshaft seal was stuck in there really good so had to try really hard to get it out so you can see markings / scratches behind it.

Painted the harmonic balancer and the two pulleys.

See less See more
#7 ·
Retho787 - how did you hold the crank from turning while you hit it with the impact? The manual references bolting a special tool onto the crankshaft (using the balancer bolt holtes) that you use to hold the crank while breaking the bolt loose.

I'm trying to break mine loose, but its giving me some trouble. I'm using a 2 ft breaker bar... thinking I might have more luck with an impact.

Any thoughts or tips?

#8 ·
Sorry for the late reply.....were you able to loosen the bolt? The breaker bar won't work, unless you have something good to hold the crank from turning. I had the same problem and tried all kinds of tools and then ended up using the high impact cordless wrench and also used the crank / waterpump locking tool to hold it from turning much, basically just a

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.