Redneck timing repair or how long till it goes KABOOM!?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Grandmaster B
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Redneck timing repair or how long till it goes KABOOM!? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So my battery has been dying if left sitting for a day or two. I was chasing electrical gremlins today ...
    Grandmaster B is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Catera

Talking Redneck timing repair or how long till it goes KABOOM!?

So my battery has been dying if left sitting for a day or two. I was chasing electrical gremlins today and I think I worked that out. While I was under the hood I figured I would pull off the timing cover and see how bad it looked. It's been making a racket for a month or two (I live on the edge ). Well it was bad. REALLY BAD! Depending on where I turned the crank to I had probably close to 3/4 of an inch of play in the belt. Looked at the tensioner and it was way off the alignment mark. Alright, problem maybe solved. Went to adjust it and the adjustment mark just moved freely back and forth. Hmm...

What to do? Lets see if I can adjust the tensioner anyway. Yep, sure can but the adjustment mark just popped off. Hmm... That's not good. Screw it. Let's do this! I just adjusted it till the belt was snug and cranked the adjuster down. I laugh at 15 ft/lbs. No torque wrench on hand but my man hands tell me more like 30-40 ft/lbs. Just a guess and what the hell does it matter, I have no reference mark anyway.
    No really, this a true story!

So I turn the crank a few revolutions and everything lines up, so I slap it back together. Get it back together and wait for the wife to get home so I can jump the battery. Wife gets home, hook up the cables, and pray. Fired right up and is surprisingly smooth and quite. Huh? Let it run for about a half an hour mostly at idle but maybe 3-4 minutes at 2 grand and a couple of quick pulls to 3 grand. Still smooth and quite. No valves in the pistons yet. lol.

I'm rolling with it for now. I am broke as a joke right now and will not be able to fix it right for at least a week or two. I shouldn't have to drive it to far or very often but it will be driven (did I mention I like to live on the edge?). Maybe let the wife drive it to work a few times. It's only about 8 miles from home. 6 of it freeway. "Make sure you take your cell phone hon, your probably gonna need it!" Anyone want to take bets as to how long till it goes kaboom? Mileage is at 92794 right now. I'll keep you guys updated.

Wish me luck...
    or not.

100_1393.jpg
    investor74 and investor74 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Redneck timing repair or how long till it goes KABOOM!?

Today I got brave and drove it around a bit. Quick blast to 4,000 RPM from a stop. 1.7 miles so far. Still quite and the pistons and valves have not kissed.
    Yet.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    it does not matter u need to change your belt asap !!!!! and pulleys with tentsioner not even due to your mileage, due to that fact that it was loose for a few month driving, your belt was under extreme pressure every single time when u was pressing your gas pedal, it was stretching belt hard, that not good!, now add mileage wear to it and heat, u need to change it ASAP. u keep doing your Quick blast to 4,000 RPM and kiss will turn car to junk yard parking lot.......

I ain't scared, well maybe a little. lol. I know for a fact it has been replaced at least once before, probably under recall. I'll get to it when I can. It's just not in the cards right now. I know it has to be better than it was, maybe... At least it has no more timing belt slap. Not sure how long that's gonna last though. Almost 2 miles so far!

I'm half tempted to leave it just to see what happens. Stupid, I know. I think in the back of my head I want it to go splody so I can attempt some sort of small block swap.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Listen to John. The weak link isn't the belt, it's the pulley assembly. When it seizes, and it will, it strips the belt's teeth. The L81 V6 is an interference engine and when that happens the pistons and valves will crash and destroy the engine. Search the archived posts for part numbers. There's a kit which includes the belt, updated tensioner assembly, pulleys, and water pump. From your description of the "adjustment" you made the replacement work should be within your skills.

I am well aware of what an interference motor is and what the shortcomings of the timing setup in the 3.0 liter are. I know I don't post here a lot but I have been doing automotive service/repairs/sales for a long time. I also lurk and try to do my homework when I can. I will have no problem doing the swap when the funds become available. This is almost an experiment in stupidity for me. It may of sounded like I was looking for advice in the original post but I was not. I know it's stupid and a bad idea. Just thought I'd share and maybe you guys could get a laugh out of my idiocy. Enjoy the ride, have some fun at my expense.

Thanks guys for trying to look out for me though. I really do appreciate it.

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

What did you find out about the battery dying?

Cut the charge wire coming from the alternator at the battery terminal, added a ring terminal I had laying around, and bolted it back on. I was losing almost a volt in the factory terminal (13.4ish volts before vs 14.2ish volts now). Also cleaned everything but I am pretty sure the charge wire was the problem. Never really getting a good charge so it didn't take much to kill it. I've been checking it all day and the battery so far has been sitting around 12.2 volts all day.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'm working on mine too and replacing all the seals by the cam shafts and hopefully the crankshaft seal too. I'm having trouble breaking the big bolt loose......waiting on a high impact wrench to come and then finish up everything.

Probably should keep my mouth shut, but my cam and crank seals are all currently dry. There, I just cursed myself. My seals will start pouring oil in 3, 2, damn it!

I think mine was dry too but the water pump was leaking so just replacing everything since I have the timing belt out and got the Gates timing kit with seals.

Replaced the cam seals and waiting for the impact wrench to remove the large crank bolt and replace the crank seal and oil pump gasket.

Added about another mile and a half today.

What? Still no guesses as to how long I have.
    I'll go first. I bet it goes boom the third time I hit the rev limiter.

Over a hundred miles so far. Good news is it should be getting repaired correctly pretty soon.

great!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.