Massive coolant leak...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Massive coolant leak... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So my '98 decided to dump all her coolant. It's leaking around the radiator on the driver's side. Caused me ...
    IvoryWhiteCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera (SOLD)

Massive coolant leak...

So my '98 decided to dump all her coolant. It's leaking around the radiator on the driver's side. Caused me to overheat 3 times today. And I did pull over to cool her down. Help please!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Re: Massive coolant leak...

my Heater Auxiliary Water Pump that on passenger side stopped working, one of fuses was blown under your steering fuse box (i dont remember witch one, check all fuses one by one) that cost over heating and over pressure that blow my radiator, radiator have lower temp. sensor on driver side, unplug it to see if your fans are working. possibly could be fail of thermostat, my had 155k miles when i replaced, and it was still working fine i just decide to replace it with ACdelco OEM, they got update it and u need to get longer screws for it

----------

On rockauto.com way cheaper
    Radiator VISTA-PRO Part # 432419 - $134
    Thermostat Housing/Water Outlet ACDELCO Part # 1510580 - $31
    Auxiliary Water Pump ACDELCO Part # 251606 - $138
    on ebay u can find Auxiliary Water Pump way cheaper. like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Auxiliar...bf2935&vxp=mtr

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by IvoryWhiteCatera
    So my '98 decided to dump all her coolant. It's leaking around the radiator on the driver's side. Caused me to overheat 3 times today. And I did pull over to cool her down. Help please!!!
    Not sure what kind of help you're asking for. You'll have to tell us what's leaking first.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Possible issues can be a crack in radiator, bad radiator hose, radiator drain plug or aux pump....these are by driver's side located at front of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Not sure what kind of help you're asking for. You'll have to tell us what's leaking first.
    Not sure yet. Haven't had time to jack her up.

----------

Hmm it has this steaming noise when it gets hot. Something's clogged possibly? I'll check it out today. Thanks guys.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Look where the upper hose from the engine enters the plastic end tank of the radiator on the driver's side. Very common to get a crack in the plastic near the base of the nipple holding the hose on. Happened to me and a lot of others.
    JohnJJO and JohnJJO like this.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by investor74 View Post
    Look where the upper hose from the engine enters the plastic end tank of the radiator on the driver's side. Very common to get a crack in the plastic near the base of the nipple holding the hose on. Happened to me and a lot of others.
    Had same thing on my radiator, i used JB welder it worked for a year until started to leak so had to replaced radiator.

Okay, so I used Bar's Leaks. It slowed the coolant leak down to a drip. I drove it for a few minutes and it still gets hot and when I stop it's steaming, with the majority of the steam and all of the leaking happening on the driver's side. Anyone have any clues? I still don't have time to jack her up, so she's out of order until then. Thanks.

I would recommend not to use bar's leak or similar products. It might work at first but then clog up the cooling system.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    I would recommend not to use bar's leak or similar products. It might work at first but then clog up the cooling system.

Thanks.
    Thanks, dude.

I am finding that replacement radiators are pretty cheap. Should I just go ahead and replace that thing? And what parts would I need to make the job complete? (i.e. hoses, auxiliary water pump, etc.) How difficult of a job should I expect? I've done some pretty difficult stuff with my car such as A/C compressor replacement, and valve cover jobs.

Radiator replacement is not that hard and actually I'm planning to do mine tomorrow due to a crack on the plastic. I found a used one in good condition at the salvage place cleaned it all up and going to work on it tomorrow and later in the week planning to work on the timing belt, camshaft and crankshaft seals.

I think maybe in your case it could be the thermostat stuck or the aux pump is not working causing the coolant to leak out from the front. Are you able to see from where it is coming out exactly?

If it's the radiator, the only issue is the hose from the aux pump going towards the bottom of the radiator, pretty tight spot to loosen the hose. Just get the whole radiator out with the aux pump and hose connected to it and then replace the radiator and install everything back before it's go to the car.

Radiator replacement is not that hard and actually I'm planning to do mine tomorrow due to a crack on the plastic. I found a used one in good condition at the salvage place cleaned it all up and going to work on it tomorrow and later in the week planning to work on the timing belt, camshaft and crankshaft seals.

I think maybe in your case it could be the thermostat stuck or the aux pump is not working causing the coolant to leak out from the front. Are you able to see from where it is coming out exactly?

If it's the radiator, the only issue is the hose from the aux pump going towards the bottom of the radiator, pretty tight spot to loosen the hose. Just get the whole radiator out with the aux pump and hose connected to it and then replace the radiator and install everything back before it's go to the car.
    Okay thanks man. Sounds easy. I'm jacking it up tomorrow to inspect where it's leaking. I'm about ready to give up on her. But that's part of the fun of owning something unique, right?

Also, u will lose very little transmission fluid from the transmission lines connected to the passenger side of the radiator if you have to replace the radiator ....it no a big issue since it's very little.

Also, u will lose very little transmission fluid from the transmission lines connected to the passenger side of the radiator if you have to replace the radiator ....it no a big issue since it's very little.
    Okay. I've been inspecting the leak and it doesn't seem to be coming from the radiator. There's no cracks in any plastic as far as I can see. I broke the auxiliary water pump on accident. So that needs replacing. I'm hoping that it will solve the problem. How can one tell if the auxiliary water pump isn't working because when it's steaming there seems o be a lot of pressure built up around that area and coolant steams onto my battery and left headlight. Maybe it's backed up in there?

----------

Plus does anyone know where the thermostat is located? I think I might go ahead and replace that as well.

Then it's possible the auxiliary pump is bad. To test it just connect it to the battery and see if it spins. I may have one that I pulled from the salvage yard. The thermostat is located next to the oil cooler or under the intake. Just track the top radiator hose (big one) and the other end goes to the thermostat.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.