Changing from synthetic to regular oil
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Changing from synthetic to regular oil in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a 1999 Cadillac Catera and I was told that it uses synthetic oil. Well it is time ...
    werwer2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera

Changing from synthetic to regular oil

I just bought a 1999 Cadillac Catera and I was told that it uses synthetic oil. Well it is time for an oil change and I was wondering if I can change and use regular oil, as it cost almost a $ 100 for an oil change with synthetic oil.
    Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Changing from synthetic to regular oil

No problem. Just use the proper temp range.

How do I find the proper temp. range.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by werwer2012 View Post
    5-30W should work. But I'd save the money and go a normal oil change. Your will need the money. Trust me! You can change your own oil if you still live at home and have a garage.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

10w30 or 5w30 will work. I just changed mine by myself and used full synthetic this time and paid only $35 (oil and filter).

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by werwer2012
    Owners manual, along with everything else you need to know about what oil to use.

Thanks to evryone for there help.

jupiter57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 DeVille, '98 DeVille, '97 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    10w30 or 5w30 will work. I just changed mine by myself and used full synthetic this time and paid only $35 (oil and filter).
    Yeah, personally, I would stick to the synthetic.

Only 2 time in my life have I switched, once from synthetic to dino, an once from dyno to synthetic.

The switch from synthetic to dino, truck started "burning" oil (Well, it was going somewhere as it had no leaks). Switched back to Synth. & oil consumption stopped.

However, the time I switched from dino to synth., the truck started losing oil, so I switched back to dino. Truck used oil from then on!

Of course, I'm Old School (I'm older than dirt!), si I tend to try to stick with the same oil the previous owner used, it's always seemed to work quite well for me.

Oh, one more thing, if your Cat has more than100K miles, I would go with 10w30, but that's just my opinion.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Use whatever oil floats your boat, as long as it's in the recommended viscosity range for your engine. Conventional, "blend" (what proportions ?) or synthetic is perfectly fine and none of it will leak out of a bad seal any faster than any other.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I always used synthetic blend 10w30 but this time trying out the full synthetic. Also in the owners manual I believe it says to use 5w30 for winter and 10w30 for summer.....don't remember exactly though.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

i have 2000 sport, since i got it i been using only Castrol GTX high millage - non synthetic, in my manual synthetic not recommend to use, i even called to my local dealer and he told me the same thing, that's sounds weird due to fact that older models are running on synthetic and why would GM chained filter from spin-on to canister type on 2000-01 models, All Cateras have same engine !!!! WHY??? i personally not recommend to swap oils from synthetic to regular and back, why ? well think about fact that your engine was running regular oil for 13 years, same stuff all the time , same chemicals for 13 years and u throwing in to it some thing else..... To late to do swap like that. i got my car when it was 126k on it, that's to mush to do switch like that, my friend owns 2010 Honda Civic that's runs on regular, but he switch to synthetic. not a problem when u have like 30k on it, not 130k..... synthetic oils not create oil leak, it makes seals leak more if they already was leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJJO
    i personally not recommend to swap oils from synthetic to regular and back, why ? well think about fact that your engine was running regular oil for 13 years, same stuff all the time , same chemicals for 13 years and u throwing in to it some thing else.....
    An engine is an inanimate object, it does not "get used to" things. You can change back and forth m as often as you'd like, at any mileage.

it makes seals leak more if they already was leaking.
    100% imcorrect.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Watch real true mechanic..... who works on cars every single day! PART 2 are main !!!
    watch it and just think logically!
    part1

part2

Sorry, not watching a youtube video to learn anything about oil.

The only possible way synthetic oil could possibly worsen a leak, is if it's higher detergent level cleaned built up crud away from a leaking seal, but that is very unlikely, and it doesn't make the seal itself leak any more. If an engine running conventional oil for 150K miles, had the oil changed on schedule, there will be no such buildup, and switching to synthetic will have absolutely no effect on leaks.

WOW, what a lot to absorb. I don't have a owners manual for my 1999 Catera. Does anyone know if there is a difference between using 10W30 synthetic and 5w30 synthetic. Not sure which one to choose from.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.