timing belt kit recommendations?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, timing belt kit recommendations? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I'm planning to replace the timing belt kit while fixing the oil leak by the crankshaft gear / pulley ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

timing belt kit recommendations?

Hi,

I'm planning to replace the timing belt kit while fixing the oil leak by the crankshaft gear / pulley area and looking for some recommendations on what brand to go with.

Gates
    Dayco
    Continental
    AC Delco

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    ACDelco ! Get new water pump too. And all new seals around cams and crank shaft

Re: timing belt kit recommendations?

I have a new pump with me, so to change the seals around the cams....is it hard? Do I have remove more stuff out of the way to get to the can seals?

well u have to remove cams, all 4 of them and crank pulley shaft, but it worth to do. if they will leak latter just imaging to do all this job again !!! and dont buy cheep seals, get acdelco. look up at rockauto - ACDELCO Part # TCK285AP for $224.99 its have all seals and tensioner + get also new timing cover seal VICTOR REINZ Part # JV5103 for only $8. if u never done that kind of job. DONT DO IT !!!! its not that simple like u think !!! its took me whole week to do + u have to use special tools to tight pulleys!!!!! they not just regular pulleys, they adjustable ones. to tight them correctly i went to sears got big socket and center bolt that hold whole pulley had to replaced with hex bolt.
    J 42069 Timing Belt Alignment Kit

tool form kit that u need to tight pulleys

due to fact that u will replace seals u will need only cams stoppers for installation and to remove bolts that hold cams. i personally did not use this tools and use two bolts that fit perfectly between teeth of cams to secure them for installation.

PDF Instructions on my Dropbox form my AllData By Web2PDF
    Part1:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv9lqgnlq5...0Resonator.pdf

Part2:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn55yt9jca...-%20Intake.pdf

Part3:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a5khs5cfv...3-%20Cover.pdf

Part4:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9xpmb4tun...ing%20belt.pdf

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Me and my father-inlaw have done 4 timing belt Jobs on these cars, once on his first Cat, on his second Cat and my Cat when we did head gasket Job and again last month when my timing belt went and blew the engine and all we used were vice grips to hold them in place.

I was thinking about vice grips or c clamps. Just not sure about removing the cams to replace the seals. Does the cams sprockets have marks on it so it can go back only one way?

Thanks for the PDF links I'll look into it and go from there.

Also, for removing and installing the cams do I need additional tools other than the timing tool kit?

It looks like I may have to get the cam seals too because I see some oil residue on upper side of the timing cover now.

----------

I found out that Gates sells the same timing kit and it's much cheaper.

I'll probably follow this video also. This is for a Saab but pretty sure it'll work for the Catera and CTS 3.0 engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXaw4xgogQ

That's nice video. wish it was maid earlier! it took me 2 week to get my car back on road. first week i was putting all back, even called mobile mechanic, that he helped me to install that belt back correctly, but that (good mechanic) put it wrong and one tooth was loose. so i had to drive home like that, cuz my friend kick me out from his garage been there whole week, so i had to re-do everything again at my apartment complex parking lot.... i did not replaced seals, wish i could, i replaced only one pulley, others i cleaned and re-lube. since that time 3 years pass, no problem.

Okay, I'm planning to change the seals too because they might be leaking due to oily residue on the timing cover ....only will know once i remove the cover.

Okay, so I did a quick look on the timing belt behind the timing cover and noticed that there is oil all over and the belt has too many tiny cracks on it. I'm planning to order all the parts tonight.

Thanks

Does the AC compressor have to come out to replace the oil pump gasket and crankshaft seal?

No!!!!

okay, good and thanks. I was looking at an online instruction and it says the compressor has to come out. Anyways, ordered all the parts and the timing tool. Planning to work on the car this coming Thursday - Sunday, a little at a time.

http://www.justanswer.com/car/1c8u8-...ac-catera.html

Also, should I drain the oil to replace the oil pump gasket? The reason I'm asking is because I just changed the oil couple weeks ago.

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.