New problem with my Catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, New problem with my Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, Okay, so I was replacing the front passenger side strut on my Catera this afternoon / evening and while ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

New problem with my Catera

Hi,

Okay, so I was replacing the front passenger side strut on my Catera this afternoon / evening and while installing the new strut I noticed so much oil on top of the upper oil pan and it has also sprayed everywhere behind the pulleys and the side chassis area. I checked the new valve covers which I installed this past weekend and everything looks dry there.

Could it be the oil pump / gasket is going bad or maybe something else? Also, last week while driving the oil low level light came on with a beep, this happened twice and I checked the oil level and it was fine so not sure what's going on now?

If it's the oil pump / gasket going bad is it hard to replace it since it's behind the timing belt area?

Also, the oil pressure is fine while driving.

Any help is greatly appreciated....thanks

----------

Could it be the oil pump seal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: New problem with my Catera

Anyone?

Also, if the oil pump seal is bad can I replace it without removing the timing belt?

How hard is it to get the seal replaced?

okay, I think I found out where the oil is coming out from. It's behind the crankshaft pulley and most likely the seal has gone bad. Any tips on fixing it without causing me any major headaches.

Can I replace it without removing with the timing belt?

Also, noticed that there is slight leak from the valve cover because two of the bolt holes are stripped on the cylinder head. Is it possible to fix that and what would you recommend?

Thanks.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Did you clean the crankcase breather when you did the camcovers? A clogged breather is the most common cause of leaking seals and/or gaskets. Internal air pressure builds and sprays oil past the camcover gaskets. The front or rear crankshaft seals is the next likely exit. Before replacing the seals clean the breather. That might be all you need to do.

Yes, I cleaned the breather, the hoses and the black plastic piece on top of the intake and swapped the covers to the SAAB 9-5 3.0.

I can check it again just to make sure it didn't clog up again.

----------

[/COLOR]The upper oil pan area is flooded with oil and it looks like leaking from behind the crankshaft pulley. The camcover leak is coming from the passenger side and it's very minor and that's where the couple bolt threads are bad.

I went to Oreilly's and they told me to try a M6x1 tapping bit and that should re-thread the hole

Update - I checked the breather lines, upper intake plastic area and shot some air with my compressor through the lines and also when it was connected to the breather box. I could hear air passing through the cylinder and everything looked fine and re-tightened the passenger side valve cover. Put everything back and test drove it and there is still minor leak by the crankshaft area but not like before.

I'll be monitoring it for the next few days and be back with an update.

Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.