Engine Sputters at cold start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Engine Sputters at cold start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I went to FL 2 weeks ago and Catera sat outside under snow. Since my return she's been sputtering, shaking, ...
    elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Engine Sputters at cold start

I went to FL 2 weeks ago and Catera sat outside under snow. Since my return she's been sputtering, shaking, and stalling while warming up. Strong exhaust smell during her temper tantrum. I bought her in Tampa in 2006 and she might be mad at me for not taking her home for a visit. Needed to take my father's 4-Runner due to the amount of luggage. Once the needle lifts off its peg the idle settles down but it's still slightly rough. Suspected contaminated fuel (water either from condensation or snowmelt). Last one doubtful since cap was brand new last summer. Ideas for cause and cure welcomed. I don't want to throw money in the wrong direction. Have already tried 2 bottles each of Seafoam, Heet, and on 2nd tank of fresh fuel. Help.

PS: Noticed flucuation in operating temp from usual 175 to 209 degrees. Lowest during cruise, highest when stationary. Coolant filled to line. Not overheating but still worthy of mention.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stewie2395 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac catera

Re: Engine Sputters at cold start

Mine has been doing the same thing to like when i start it up, it shakes roughly, sputters like you can hear it pop... I'm not sure what is the cause, the last thing i did to maybe cause this was disconnect the negative battery terminal. Now when i start the car from a cold start, put it in drive i can barely move it says at like 10-20 mph, maybe it just has to get fuel going or what but once it gets going it's fine... i have no idea.

investor74 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

CEL? Any codes?

PrimeTimeElite is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 1999

I've experienced the same, no CEL, I've just become accustomed to giving her a little gas and warming her up for a few extra minutes.

Sorry, I forgot to update. Turns out I had a dead coil. Individual coil on my 2001 and cylinder #2 was dead.

I'm starting to think the coil comment you made on my other thread is making more and more sense. Think I'll try Upull this weekend and see if I can grab one for each side and give it a shot, what's the worst that could happen, right. Do you happen to know the intra-compatibility years on those?

'97 - '98 have a DIS coil pack with wires for each sparkplug. 99 - '01 have individual coils atop each sparkplug.

So as long as I pull from a 99, 00, or 01 should be good... thanks!

06 STS Rob is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Mom's 2000 Cat just pulled P0300, P0303, P0306... When I did a search, I found the 99-01' have "coil packs" 1,3,5 & 2,4,6. It looks like you have to buy the left side and right side, not idividual coils??? Her car idles rough at start up and the CEL came on. It has since gone off but the codes were stored so I went ahead and cleared them. I am just thinking that ordering the coils now would be a good idea.
    Any thoughts?

Same codes for my 2001 and it was a bad coil. Only one and they are replaced individually not in sets.

So, I replaced my coil pack and that didn't fix it. I'm back to square one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.