Fuel / gas odor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Fuel / gas odor in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi My 98 Catera may be having some kind of fuel leak in the engine bay area. It stinks really ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Fuel / gas odor

Hi

My 98 Catera may be having some kind of fuel leak in the engine bay area. It stinks really bad after driving around and then after parking the car in the garage or anywhere else it's fills the whole place with the fule odor. I think this started after I replaced the valve cover gaskets on both sides. I checked the fuel lines right above the passenger side plug area and didn't see any leak.

Also, on some mornings when I start the car it feels like there's too much fuel / overflow going into the system and it's little sluggish when it starts, but it does start right away. Could it be the fuel injector going bad or malfunctioning causing the bad fuel odor?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

werwer2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera

Re: Fuel / gas odor

I have a 1999 catera and when I had the valve covers replaced about two months agao I had the same issue. I had to take it back to the garage three times before they found that it was one of the fuel lines on the Left side of the engine. it was not put back completely square and since it is a compression fitting was leaking just enough to smelll fuel. After it was fixed no more problems.

Okay, I'll check the lines again and it smells really bad after driving around and back to the garage.

I checked the fuel lines and didn't see any leak but did retighten it....hopefully that'll stop the fuel smell.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.