98 Catera Oil leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 98 Catera Oil leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Folks, I had this oil leak for the past two months from the valve cover area and somewhere below ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

98 Catera Oil leak

Hi Folks,

I had this oil leak for the past two months from the valve cover area and somewhere below that, so replaced the gaskets and o-rings and that and it didn't help any. It still leaking oil so was going to buy new valve covers because they looked warped but before trying gave another try with the new gaskets and added some permatex high temp gasket maker and I think it stopped the leak by the valve covers because I used a rag and my hand and couldn't see or feel any oil residue but when I look under the car there's still some oil leak and it drips down the transmission and on the exhaust. I crawled under the car and I see oil on both sides where the exhaust joins to the block. My question is there something else that could be causing this oil leak, maybe exhaust leaking?

Where should I start now?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

98Geldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 eldorado, 2000 Catera
    From pass threads they say if the valve cover looks warped it needs to be replaced. They also say don't use felpro gaskets and to clean the breather box while you're there. From my experience the felpro gaskets don't work as I did this job over the weekend with no luck on the driver side but I added Lucas stop leak to slow it down. Those valve covers are plastic and are a POS. the gm website supposedly has new valve cover for. 70 and 100 bucks I think plus 40 per side for the gaskets. I also read that Saturn ls valve covers are a perfect fit and are steel and will eliminate this problem. Let me know if u find the valve covers as I will be replacing them in the future.

Re: 98 Catera Oil leak

Okay. Then maybe I have to replace them for sure with new gaskets and covers. I don't see any leaks from the top or side of it but only by the exhaust area.

Also, did clean the breather box and the black plastic strip on top of the intake....it was clogged but now nice and clean.

----------

Okay. Then maybe I have to replace them for sure with new gaskets and covers. I don't see any leaks from the top or side of it but only by the exhaust area.

Also, did clean the breather box and the black plastic strip on top of the intake....it was clogged but now nice and clean.

I just went to the bone yard and got a set of valve covers off a Saturn l series 3.0 40 bucks. Will install this weekend and post back

The only issue with the valve cover is the oil spout opening correct?

----------

What modek and year Saturn did u get it out from?

Really the oil spout is not a issue u would have to just use a funnel to add oil which u should do any way. I got em from a 2000 ls2 same motor just sits sideways

Oh okay. But u have a 2000 Catera where as mine is a 98 Catera and the plug boots are different.

----------

So may need to find a different Saturn model and year that'll work for the 98 Catera.

IvoryWhiteCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera (SOLD)

Oil in the back is definitely the valve covers. I had the exact same problem and my car would smoke at red lights (embarrassing really). My Saab valve covers worked out perfectly for me, and I did use Fel-Pro. I suggest you use gasket glue first, and glue them to the covers because it sucks putting them on the heads. They were always falling out.

Okay, thanks. Any idea on the oil filler neck? Did u use it with Saab covers because on the Saturn covers don't have oil filler neck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.