2001 Catera throttle body and O2 sensors - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2001 Catera throttle body and O2 sensors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The new sensor is a direct fit and per rockauto.com, these are compatible and also fits perfectly. This is new ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 2001 Catera throttle body and O2 sensors

The new sensor is a direct fit and per rockauto.com, these are compatible and also fits perfectly. This is new brand and have sold a few of these sensors in the past year and had no problems. The voltage shows 12vdc at the connector end when I turn on the battery. I believe it's the resistance that shows 8.5 on the the old ones and the new one I got shows about 13.

The P0161 was there before changing the sensor, so got the new sensor and now I get codes P0161 and P0140 after the replacement. i swappd the sides and still get the same codes.

----------

I'm going to try one more thing, going to install the old sensor back, clear the codes and test drive it. If the CEL comes on I'll scan it and see what it shows. If it's just P0161 then I'll return APWI brand sensor and go with Bosch or AC Delco brand sensor.

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

So, with 3 different sensors in bank 2 sensor 2, one of them being new, you always get code 161. I would say there is probably something else wrong. From the connector toward the ECM, or an exhaust leak upstream or the air distribution system. (from the service manual)
    There are more tests you can do. There is a detailed troublshooting guide in the manual for all the codes.

For code 161 I'm summarizing from the manual.
    Key off for at least 20 min. meter on ohms, red led to pin 3, black led to chassis ground. should be less than 5 ohms.
    Key on, meter on VDC, red led to pin 1, black led to pin 2, should be 0 vdc
    Start engine, meter on VDC, red led to pin 1, black led to pin 2, should be 12vdc or switching between 0 and 12v.
    Engine off, jumper a wire from pin 4 to chassis ground. Key on, Engine off, scantool should read 0 volts (or 0% I would imagine) for the affected sensor.

Also, on the sensors, read the ohms between pins 1&2(the heater) then 3&4(the sensor), and compare them between the sensors.

RED/BLU
    AP950
    Fused Battery Feed

BRN/WHT
    XM950
    HO2S Heater Control

BRN/GRN
    XU960
    HO2S Reference Ground

BRN/BLU
    XP960
    HO2S Signal[COLOR="Silver"]

Okay, will try it out. I don't think there's any exhaust leak bit will check again. How many ohms should it read between 1 & 2, 3 & 4?

Thanks.

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

Don't know, but I'm heading to the junkyard now to get a sensor for mine, sensor #1. I have a code 135. When I put it in later I can check my sensor #2 and let you know.

Okay, thanks. I swapped the new sensor out and installed the old one back. Now both are the old sensors on the car. I check the resistance again on the old sensors and it was 8.3 to 8.5, the new one was 13.3.

I scanned it with live data check and it was reading same numbers at both sensors so pretty sure both sensors are okay. Also, checked the connectors and getting 12vdc.

Well see what happens now.

Thanks.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

did you say that you already replaced the ECM?

bad ECMs have been known to produce false positive O2 sensor codes
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I didn't replace the ECM yet. The car's idle is also not that 100%, still thinking the throttle body might be bad.

I guess we are back to the ECM, probably causing this O2 codes and the idle issue.

Okay, here's the latest after installing the old sensor to the driver's side cat. The CEL came on so scanned and it shows P0140 and P0141, no more P0161 so now I think it's the O2 sensor and maybe P0161 was showing because of the new aftermarket O2 Sensor.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    That sounds very likely. It's really hard to get these kinds of problems fixed. Even when you have experience and the factory service manual and tools available to you it can be tough.

My guess would be PCM or throttle body electronics are at fault here.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I think so too and going to get a Bosch sensor and see what it does. If no change then swap the ECM or Throttle Body.

Thanks.

Should I get Bosch or AC Delco O2 sensor?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I'd get AC Delco, but both are good.

Ordered the AC Delco from Amazon. It was cheaper than the Bosch.

The new AC Delco sensor is here and checked the resistance at the two white wires before installing it and I'm getting the same numbers like the old one (8.5). I couldn't get any reading from the gray and black wire on the sensor, similar to the old one.

Well, going to install it in a few minutes and see what it does. if I have anything new I'll be back with the update.

Thanks.

Here's the latest, installed the sensor last night and drove it around all day today and the CEL came on. I scanned it this evening and it's only showing P0140. The P0141 is no longer showing and car is still idling a little rough.

Any idea what to do next? My only guess is ECM and throttle body now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.