Drop in oil pressure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Drop in oil pressure in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm starting to feel like the blind men feeling the elephant. There are different solutions to almost all of our ...
    olddavid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado(sold)99 SLS(sold) 98Catera

Drop in oil pressure

I'm starting to feel like the blind men feeling the elephant. There are different solutions to almost all of our problems unique to our automobiles. Yesterday, I installed my usual Mobil 1 5-20 with a Wix filter and have immediately noticed my oil pressure drop by 20%. I should point out I replaced the rounded out rubber o-ringed crankcase plug with an aftermarket copper-washered unit. It doesn't appear to be leaking in any way, but that is the only alteration done. Could it be the onset of oil-cooler leakage? I have no sludge in the coolant tank or the fill neck or on the dipstick, but the forum has mentioned that occasionally this takes time to make itself evident.Should I have this failure, is there any way to alter the design to put the cooler into a more conventional and more useful spot, like the transmission cooler? And, would there be a kit to accomplish this? High-pressure braided lines to a forward location - say, in intercooler territory? I'm rapidly losing patience, and had this car not had EVERY factory sponsored upgrade, I'm sure it would be in the breeze by now. This has been a challenge, to say the least, but I really enjoy it when its good. Plus, it's a one owner San Diego car that had 56k when I bought it, believe it or not, at a yard sale for $2750. Any input would be welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

Re: Drop in oil pressure

5-20 is too thin of oil so it need less pressure to move, therefore your pressure gauge will show less pressure, try changing 10-30 or add a additive to thicken the oil

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Using thicker oil only raises the oil pressure, because it is harder to pump through the oil passages. Low oil pressure due to a weak pump, also means low oil flow, and that's the real problem. Using thicker oil does nothing to solve this, it only hides the symptom ) (the low gauge reading/oil light).

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

What viscosity oil is recommended in the owner's manual for that engine ?? Start there. Synthetic or conventional makes no difference, and WIX is the cat's meow for filters.

Unless you race the car or tow large trailers you DO NOT need an oil cooler.

Regular maintenance with modern oils, filters, and PCV systems has relegated the buzzword "sludge" to the garbage can of time.

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

look at your manual, it stats to use 10-30, he has 5-20, too thin, put 10-30 in and if his gauge still is low, than check into the pump.

jupiter57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 DeVille, '98 DeVille, '97 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by gvjv3 View Post
    look at your manual, it stats to use 10-30, he has 5-20, too thin, put 10-30 in and if his gauge still is low, than check into the pump.
    10W-30, at the least.
    5W-20 is WAY too thin for almost any practical application except maybe in Alaska in winter!
    Bear in mind that if you have higher mileage, you will have bearing wear, which would necessitate a slightly heavier oil.
    I would recommend at least a 10W-30 or 10W-40.
    (Better to use 10W-30 in winter, 10W-40 in summer, IMHO)

olddavid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado(sold)99 SLS(sold) 98Catera

Thanks for all the input. I added a quart of 20-50 and my paranoia eased as my pressure returned to normal. I guess waiting for the other shoe to drop is too stressful for this old man. But I'm still vigilant as I've never known 5 basis points of viscosity to make a real difference in a completely healthy engine. Now on to the O2 sensors.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.