2000 Catera Sport with intermittent engine stop problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2000 Catera Sport with intermittent engine stop problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This lady has a 2000 Sport that occasionally kills out of the clear blue sky, without warning. Sometimes the transmission ...
    olddavid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado(sold)99 SLS(sold) 98Catera

2000 Catera Sport with intermittent engine stop problems

This lady has a 2000 Sport that occasionally kills out of the clear blue sky, without warning. Sometimes the transmission light appears, but not always. She's losing patience and wants to sell a cherry 80k mile car that's spotless for $995. I'm going over to buy it in the morning - it's got a $600 salvage value - but I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems? She has had the Cadillac dealer change the trans. fluid as well as the COP replacement along with the blend valve replacement(?). I'm open to any suggestions, including changing the muffler bearings.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

Re: 2000 Catera Sport with intermittent engine stop problems

Try replace the CPS, it's just next to the oil filer

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Quote Originally Posted by olddavid View Post
    This lady has a 2000 Sport that occasionally kills out of the clear blue sky, without warning. Sometimes the transmission light appears, but not always. She's losing patience and wants to sell a cherry 80k mile car that's spotless for $995. I'm going over to buy it in the morning - it's got a $600 salvage value - but I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems? She has had the Cadillac dealer change the trans. fluid as well as the COP replacement along with the blend valve replacement(?). I'm open to any suggestions, including changing the muffler bearings.
    Muffler bearings. LOL. Or maybe it is the Johnson Rod.

BTW, I second the CPS thought above. Also, make sure that when the engine is running, you are getting a solid 13.5 volts or more. These Cateras are hyper sensitive to the voltage.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

Give us a more detailed account of EXACTLY whats happening? when does it not start.. is it hot? is it cold... did she just fuel it? is it after it has sat and ideling for a while with the a/c on....

these all have differnt meanings... if its hot and stalls/wont start cps.
    if its been sitting and running for a long time.. could be starter.

if its right after fill up tank.. fuel purge valve..

we jsut need a better idea of what/when its happening.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.