ENTIRE oil filter cylinder loose HELP!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, ENTIRE oil filter cylinder loose HELP!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Went to get my oil changed only to be told that they could not get filter cylinder cap off because ...
    Jah jah is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 00

ENTIRE oil filter cylinder loose HELP!!

Went to get my oil changed only to be told that they could not get filter cylinder cap off because the entire cylinder spins (instead of being stationary)... I asked if he could use a large adjustable wrench to hold the cylinder while someone else takes the cap off. He says its too risky...says hes never dealt with this...i desperately need advice...filter hasnt been changed in about 8 months...because last oil change walmart said they "didnt have the size filter for my car" so I just got oil changed...plus car was down for 2months due to bs mechanics that gave me the run around for valve cover gasket replacement

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

olddavid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado(sold)99 SLS(sold) 98Catera

Re: ENTIRE oil filter cylinder loose HELP!!

Although I must preface this advice with the fact my car has spin-on, I've seen cars having the cartridge filter, which I'm assuming yours has. Why not take this opportunity to have yours converted? I've owned cars that have that type, and location aside, the job itself is not usually overwhelming. Of course, that was what I assumed when changing ignition and valve cover seals and transmission fluid, etc. etc. What oil change place are you using? The fact they weren't adept enough to think of using their strap wrench to hold the cylinder while loosening the cap does not bode well for their expertise.

This was a place called Big Al's a franchise in VA...i didnt think it would be dangerous to do it that way...but he made it seem like there was a great potential for failure... Im looking into cartridge vs spin on ... And you believe spin on would not give me the problem im having nkw with the cartridge on my catera 00.

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

Here's a write up on how to change it.
    http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t...our-oil-filter

This was the only place I could find that had the connector in stock.
    http://www.saabpartscheap.com/OEMPar.../90412159.html

Quote Originally Posted by marko69 View Post
    Here's a write up on how to change it.
    http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t...our-oil-filter

This was the only place I could find that had the connector in stock.
    http://www.saabpartscheap.com/OEMPar.../90412159.html
    Nice now I see what im dealing with, bolt inside is loose...i Am better off converting it so I wont have this prob again....thanx guys

olddavid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado(sold)99 SLS(sold) 98Catera

When you convert, always use a good quality filter as I've found it's cheap insurance along with premium gas and synthetic oil.

Just found out that the cylinder housing is leaking oil...im not driving my car. Oil is coming out as quick as I put it in

Doctur J is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Catera

After finding out the hard way when oil change places were not changing the filter along with the oil, I learned to change the oil myself. It's simple! Use a strap wrench to hold the cylinder and use a 3/8 drive socket wrench and insert into cap. If you have problems with the entire cylinder spinning off, take it off, proceed as previously indicated and once you get it apart you can attach the cylinder back on the engine. Take care not to strip the threads and tighten. Now you can snap new filter into cap and screw back on cylinder. Be sure to install new rubber gasket-it's imperative! Hand screw cap back on cylinder, then use socket wrench to tighten-but don't over tighten. This is probably what happened with your last oil change b/c they may have used an air tool to tighten and its not needed. Now I'm able to change my oil myself and know that a fresh fllter is part of the oil change. Hope this helps!

----------

See my quote and it may solve your problem

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

just changed the oil on our 03 vue 3.0. has same motor as catera? oil filter housing cap came right off. of course the t45 torx driver oil pan bolt was a bit harder. i used a t-40 bit by mistake and it shattered. disintegrated actually. i had a 40 and a 50, but no 45 it seems.

car5car is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Buy from NAPA new plug for $2

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

actually the torx bit broke, the oil pan plug is ok. i dont really care if the bolt has a torx drive since i have the proper bit. maybe getting a hex bolt would be easier for the next guy when we sell it. which will be soon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.