2000 catera overheating, fans not coming on.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2000 catera overheating, fans not coming on. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I received this catera from a buddy of mine. It was taking up space in his mother's drive way and ...
    bier9021 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 catera

2000 catera overheating, fans not coming on.

I received this catera from a buddy of mine. It was taking up space in his mother's drive way and they just wanted it gone.

They are from Columbia, so language is a barrier for his mom.

I found out that the catera was over heating and boiled over out of the safety valve at the rear of the engine.

I did a block test through the coolant and it appeared negative. I tested it 3 different times. Also no milky substance in the oil. I didn't drain it. ... just inspection on the dip stick.

No fans coming on... Not even with ac on... so my questions are. ....

1. All fuses are good. Which relays should I check?

2. With all I have read, I discovered the k134 multi function is acting up. The radio, trunk, and fuel for release all not working. I have resoldered my xbox board, so I'll tackle it soon. Does the k134 have any affect on the fans?

3. Steps to check the fans?

4. What is this picture, what/where does this bracket go? Someone messed with it and didn't put it back. Also at the bottom of the switch, there is an open vacuum.

### not letting me post picture. ... I'll try a separate post.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bier9021 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 catera

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: 2000 catera overheating, fans not coming on.

When you say the coolant is coming out the safety valve in the rear of the engine, you mean the overflow tube on the coolant tank?

Is the water in the radiator hot? Just trying to see if your thermostat is functioning. The fans cool the radiator.

With no fans coming on at all, it seems like your temperature switches are not functional assuming all fuses are good.

It would be difficult to post a step by step procedure because there are three fans, two temperature switches, seven fan control relays and a fan resistor, aux water pump, etc. If a particular fan was not coming on, the steps could be manageable.

This thread has a lot of information about the fan relays and fuses:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l-diagram.html

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

also you said water/steam coming from the rear so it may be the HCV, which is common to fail, the heater control value is located to the rear of the engine just under the firewall

jupiter57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 DeVille, '98 DeVille, '97 Catera

Check the diagram above for the relays. They are cheap & easy to replace.
    I had the same problem on my '97 when I bought it. Lady said it was overheating with AC on.
    I replaced 3 of the fan relays (13, 15, & 20) & now all the fans run as they should and 6 months later, still no overheating!
    (3 relays was all Advance Auto had at the time, I just started pulling & replacing until the fans came on properly)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.