First car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, First car in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys this is my first time on the Cadillac forums website, but anyways I'm getting my first car at ...
    Cadillac Catera98 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Catera

First car

Hi guys this is my first time on the Cadillac forums website, but anyways I'm getting my first car at the end of the month or next year mid January. And of course I'm in love with Cadillac because that's the brand of cars I grow up and the type of car I learned how to drive which was my dads 97 Seville SLS, but anyways I have taking a huge likening to the Cadillac Catera and I have been looking and me and parents have found a 1998 Catera. And yes I did my research about the Catera and know that its a rebadged of the GM opel omega from their brand in gremany and I have read a lot of reviews and most them have been bad, my best friend told me to check you guys out. My thing is with all the bad reviews and what not should I move on or what because I really like this car not because its a Cadillac because its a gas saver it's a nice size for a first car, I mean my dad knows anything and everything about a Cadillac and a Cadillac northstar he said it is a bad car but then again it could be a good car he said its up to me what I want and I said I'm ask around can any of you guys give me what you think about the Catera please. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

While the Catera isn't the worst car in the world when it comes to reliability and maintenance, it is FAR from an Accord. You will have to put out money to keep everything working as it should. As a first car, I'd say stay away. The N* powered cars are a big nono as first cars as well. They were expensive cars when new, and that's what maintenance and repair costs reflect, not the used car price.

In all honesty, the only Cadillacs I would really recommend for a new owner/driver, are the 4.5/4.9 powered cars of the late '80's to mid '90's, or an older RWD Deville or Fleetwood. But judging by your interest in the Catera, those aren't really your style.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage

While the Catera isn't the worst car in the world when it comes to reliability and maintenance, it is FAR from an Accord. You will have to put out money to keep everything working as it should. As a first car, I'd say stay away. The N* powered cars are a big nono as first cars as well. They were expensive cars when new, and that's what maintenance and repair costs reflect, not the used car price.

In all honesty, the only Cadillacs I would really recommend for a new owner/driver, are the 4.5/4.9 powered cars of the late '80's to mid '90's, or an older RWD Deville or Fleetwood. But judging by your interest in the Catera, those aren't really your style.
    I don't mind driving a deville because my grandmother has her 98 deville which looks like she just got it, but If I go to something that big and huge on gas I would like to have a Seville. Because that's the car I learned how to drive in and my dad still ones till this day I did see a 03 Seville STS for $1980 that I liked.

----------

I don't mind driving a deville because my grandmother has her 98 deville which looks like she just got it, but If I go to something that big and huge on gas I would like to have a Seville. Because that's the car I learned how to drive in and my dad still ones till this day I did see a 03 Seville STS for $1980 that I liked.

jupiter57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 DeVille, '98 DeVille, '97 Catera

Re: First car

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Catera98 View Post
    I have 2 DeVilles, '97 & a '98.
    Both get 26+ MPG Hiway, around 23-24 city.
    I also have a '97 Catera, same mileage as the DeVilles!

I've owned 4 Caddys, all got really great Fuel mileage.
    (Best was '88 Deville, 27.7 MPG on a 700 mile trip, never dropped below 25 MPG City)

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 129k
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Catera98

I did see a 03 Seville STS for $1980 that I liked.
    A 2003 STS for $1,980???

I can tell by the price alone that it will be a money pit, don't even look at that car....I sold my 2001 STS for $1,600..had 233k on her and needed some TLC...That car for that price is a red flag on its own, the suspension alone (F55 Magnaride, same as Corvette/Ferrari) would cost more to replace than the price tag. A 2003 STS in good shape should be $5k-8k depending on mileage and condition.

And as far as a Catera is concerned, run! Don't buy one for your 1st car, in fact, don't ever buy one...It's not even a Cadillac, if you truely love Cadillac's you'd get a real one. Besides Catera's look like a Cavalier and a Malibu made a baby, then that baby turned 18 and changed their name to Cadillac. It just should've never happened.

I bought a 95 STS for my 1st car for $5k at 19, had 135k on her...had her for a year and put in a new fuel pump, spark plugs, and a brake booster, drove about 35k in that year. The N* powered Cadillac's are not junk IF they are maintained correctly. But one in your budget will most likely be a neglected money pit.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter57 View Post
    I have 2 DeVilles, '97 & a '98.
    Both get 26+ MPG Hiway, around 23-24 city.
    I also have a '97 Catera, same mileage as the DeVilles!

I've owned 4 Caddys, all got really great Fuel mileage.
    (Best was '88 Deville, 27.7 MPG on a 700 mile trip, never dropped below 25 MPG City)
    To me its's like yea they do get really good gas mileage, because when I drive my dads seville to work and school and for me $20 works ok for me till the next to days, I hope to own 5 Caddys.

----------

And as far as a Catera is concerned, run! Don't buy one for your 1st car, in fact, don't ever buy one...It's not even a Cadillac, if you truely love Cadillac's you'd get a real one. Besides Catera's look like a Cavalier and a Malibu made a baby, then that baby turned 18 and changed their name to Cadillac. It just should've never happened.

LOL, but really me and my moms have made a 5k price rang and nothing over that, it does sound like some what of a money pit. but where i'm looking for my car is on Craiglist and as well as Autotrader.com ETC, But most people on Craiglist are selling because they need the money me and my moms called a guy a few days ago and he was selling he's Caddy because he need the money just to pay bills. I also have my dad who knows a lot about Cadillac's and most of all the Seville.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

While I don't recommend it as 1st car I love my Catera. She treats me mean some times but overall she's a joy. I have a 2001 and have had to replace the Heater Bypass Valve twice, the camcover gaskets once and the Crankshaft Position Sensor once. Replaced the headliner due to drooping too. Upgraded the tail/signal lights to led, the front brake calipers to GTO and pads to Corvette. Didn't need to, just wanted to. Rebuilt the front suspension with polyurethane bushings, new tierods, and balljoints. After 100,000 miles I had to. It hasn't been cheap but the pleasure I get from clipping the apexes on a mountain road makes it worth it to me. The link will take yo to another Catera site with my overview of the car (good and bad), suspension and braking upgrades, and other info. My suggestion if you go ahead with a Catera is to buy a 2000 or 2001 Sport. Better stock suspension, FBW throttle, and improved oil cooler and timing belt tensioner.

http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t...y-elvin-rivera
    http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t...aking-upgrades
    http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t...pgrades-part-1
    http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t66-catera-wheels

that sounds like a lot did you have to replace all that back to back or was it like every two months something would happen where it had to be replaced, and how much did it cost to replace all that all together. The Catera we are looking at the only issue is that the speed dome is not working other then that the car is in goo shape.

Bought Nov 2006 (48,000 miles)
    1. Nov 2006 - 4 new tires
    2. NOV 2006 - new hbv
    3. Spring 2007 - timing belt and tensioner
    4. summer 2007 - camcover gaskets
    5. winter 2008 - CPS
    6. summer 2010 - GTO calipers/Corvette pads
    7. spring 2011 - EBTCM (abs module)
    8. summer 2011 - front suspension
    9. summer 2012 - HBV (2nd)
    10. fall 2012 - headliner

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

You know when you buy a used car, you will allways have to replace something, with Catera,s there are good ones and bad ones, it's just there are more bad ones then good, am lucky, I have a good one, 97 with 124K on it, but it runs very nice, yes I had problems but most were easy fix, you eather buy a new car with a car payment and no car problems, or buy a used car, with no car payment, and problems here and there to fix,

"elvin315"]Bought Nov 2006 (48,000 miles)

The Catera we are looking at has (95,000 miles)
    I mean isn't that what goes into buying a used car, we already know about 2 to 3 months after getting the car the tires and other stuff had to be replaced. Once we get the car we would have to fix the speed dome

----------

Quote Originally Posted by gvjv3
    You know when you buy a used car, you will allways have to replace something, with Catera,s there are good ones and bad ones, it's just there are more bad ones then good, am lucky, I have a good one, 97 with 124K on it, but it runs very nice, yes I had problems but most were easy fix, you eather buy a new car with a car payment and no car problems, or buy a used car, with no car payment, and problems here and there to fix,
    My parents wants me to buy a used cash car as my first car because in the event I lose my job they don't want to have to take over my payments for a new car, I would take the car that has to be fixed latter on down the line. The Catera we looking at is in good condition the only issue is the speed dome.

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

well all I can say is if you buy it, look for a good shop or someone who works on cars at a decent price, I myself found someone on crag list who comes to my home for $25 hour to do minor repairs, you will need one no matter how good the car runs now, Catera's will have minor repairs to keep them going.

[QUOTE=Cadillac Catera98;3160568]The Catera we are looking at has (95,000 miles). I mean isn't that what goes into buying a used car? We already know about 2 to 3 months after getting the car the tires and other stuff had to be replaced. Once we get the car we would have to fix the speed dome[COLOR="Silver"]

Just so you know that going in and have a cash reserve for repairs, have at it.

WARNING:The timing belt/tensioner service should be performed every 50 - 60k miles. At 95k you're overdue. If the tensioner seizes and the belt snaps your engine is toast. It's an interference engine meaning the valves will crash into the pistons. Not good.

I have no clue what to do, I like both the Catera and the Seville STS, and from what I here the Catera it's not the good choice the Seville would work out better....

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Just buy a used toyota! The craptera will bleed you dry!

There are some good and bad used cars, however when new, the Craptera was a bad car. As a used car it is awful!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.