Need help ....ASAP!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Need help ....ASAP!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by retho78 Update - replaced the CPS and the car is running good so far. Another question...... I ...
    elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Need help ....ASAP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    Update - replaced the CPS and the car is running good so far.

Another question...... I replaced the valve cover gaskets on both sides about 4 weeks due to an oil leak and mainly more leak coming from the passenger side. When I removed the passenger side valve cover I noticed the plugs were covered in oil. Anyways I cleaned it all out and replaced the gaskets, but I'm still having the oil leak from both sides and while I replaced the CPS last night I checked the passenger side spark plug wires and there was some oil on the plug boots.

Do you think the head gasket is bad or could it be something else?

Thanks.
    What would a leaking head gasket have to do with the camcovers? Oil doesn't drip up.

Filled sparkplug wells are caused by leaking camcover gaskets. The reason your new ones failed is because you didn't clean the crankcase breather. Clogged breathers cause built up crankcase pressure to seek another path out. In the L81's case it's the plastic covers which flex and let the oil mist out. It lands on the exhaust heat shields and smolders. Search the archives for breather cleaning instructions.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thanks elvin315, I'll check them.......thought I had cleaned them previously but would take a look at it.

So do you think I'll have to replace the valve cover gaskets again after the breather clean up?

Thanks.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

You might get away with it if you clean the gaskets and the sealing surfaces thoroughly. There's only one breather box but the black strip and tubes on top of the plenum are included. Intructions are available on VauxhallOwnersNetwork.net.

okay, thanks. I'll take a look at it and hopefully this leak issue will be resolved without much expense.

Just a quick update, finally got a chance to mess around and find out why the oil was leaking again from the valve cover gaskets I replaced couple months ago. I took the valve covers, upper intake out and checked breather box area and noticed that the small line from the black strip on top of the upper intake going to the breather box cracked easily while I pulled it out. I replaced it with a new line and the checked the ports (small and large) on the breather box and they looked fine but ended up cleaning it again.

The black plastice strip on top of the upper intake was really clogged so ended up soaking it in carb cleaner and used some compressed air few minutes later and shot all the gunk out. I also cleaned the throttle body and replaced the plugs while I was there and iinstalled new valve cover gaskets. Then cleaned it the other areas on the upper intake with carb cleaner. Installed everything back and started the car, there was one shot of white smoke that came out of the exhaust then it ran normal. I guess it was from all the cleaning I did andyways I haven't test drove it yet but will do it tomorrow and let you all know how things are.

Thanks.

Hi all,

Another update, drove the car around today and came back and it's still leaking oil :-\. No idea what's going on now. I guess I have to crawl under the car and track the oil leak.

Thanks.

98Geldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 eldorado, 2000 Catera
    Was it hard to change the valve cover gaskets? Need to do this ASAP just found a leak any tips?

not that hard replacing it but the driver's side has more stuff above it so just take your time and do it properly.

Okay, I just did a quick check to find where the oil is leaking from and it coming from the driver side valve cover, most likely a warped cover. It's time to find a new cover or is there an easy fix to stop this leak?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.